Recommend me a nice tube amp

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Recommend me a nice tube amp

Post by Reg18 »

My immediate thoughts were the Blackstar HT series.
Not my favorite tone but its got speaker simulation out, 2 footswitchable channels, reverb, British AND USA voiced via their unique EQ shaping thingy.
I've heard the Classic 20 heads emulation isn't as convincing as some of the others although that feature might not be a deal breaker for you?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Engl Screamer is pretty decent, has reverb and cab sim out. No wattage switching but the master volume does a fine job.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I recommend that you drop the requirement for a speaker sim out and just buy an H&K Redbox to handle that task.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

bbrunskill wrote:I recommend that you drop the requirement for a speaker sim out and just buy an H&K Redbox to handle that task.
That's a great suggestion - that way you have so many options within your budget.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

bbrunskill wrote:I recommend that you drop the requirement for a speaker sim out and just buy an H&K Redbox to handle that task.
I agree! Opens up heaps more options in your price range.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

There's a nice Goodsell for sale
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

With the budget that you're thinking, you can pretty much much get anything you want.

My recommendation would be to try a few amps and then get back to us with your thoughts on them , and we could go from there.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

godgrinder wrote:Engl Screamer is pretty decent, has reverb and cab sim out. No wattage switching but the master volume does a fine job.
I had one of the 50w heads, regretful sale. Stunning amps :thumbup:

jumpingtam
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by jumpingtam »

After a month of online search, youtube video reviews, forum readings, shop visits and actual amp testing I have finally decided which amp to get and I am very happy with my decision!

I have tried different brands ranging from Fender, Blackstar, Marshall, MESA/Boogie, Orange, Roland, Boss, Line 6, Hugh & Kettner and Peavey. I was about to settle with a Marshall DSL15C unfortunately it didn't have an effects loop, so I have to move on.

Then I found and tested the Peavey Classic 20 head with the Peavey 112-C and oh man I knew from the very first note I played that this is the amp I want. It's one of those amps that will make you want to play more and more. I also tested the Blues Cube Artist and I also loved it, everything about it is just right. I will probably buy the Blues Cube Artist next.

This experience really shift my paradigm because at first I thought the most expensive ones are the best ones but I was wrong. I now know that the best ones are the ones that sounds right to your ear. Overall I am very happy and completely satisfied with my purchase. Total cost is $1,200 for both head and cab.

Thanks to all who commented and gave their recommendations on this page. The case is now closed. Cheers.
nothing to see here