NAD: How my Weekend Downtime is Looking

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 387 times

NAD: How my Weekend Downtime is Looking

Post by dayl »

Im stuck at home this weekend in awesome weather nursing a wrecked back due to my deadlift technique needing work :oops: :evil:

The good news being that I have three mini amps to play with! I've had a run on them all this morning straight gat to amp to cab and must say, these little things sound awesome. I have much more fun tweaking and switching these than selecting Amp sims and presets etc. Awaiting the arrival of the AC30 then when I'm a bit more mobile with build a shelf to house them all and set up some kind of power conditioner/patchpay type thing... thats the pipedream anyway.

Thanks to @bender for the heads up on the Musicplanet sale.. that brought the Vox to me. Fun lil amp...dirty lil thing.
Thanks to @Olderama for the lean on the 6505mh. I wasnt even considering one initially and after a burn on this thing, that would have been a crazy mistake to miss out on this.
Thanks to @Mr Davison For the Randall... man what a versatile hard rock/metal amp that Tone stack switch opens up a bunch of tweaking options for lead and rhythm.

Thanks guys!

Fun times :thumbup:

sam_the_bogan
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: NAD: How my Weekend Downtime is Looking

Post by sam_the_bogan »

Sweet little setup you've got there.

Deadlifting is about the best and worst thing you can do for your back (depending on your technique). If you end up sore, try a wider stance with a closer grip and go sumo style, or use a hex bar and you'll never have problems again :-)

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Damn

Now gassing for anther peavey
:mental:

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

sam_the_bogan wrote:Sweet little setup you've got there.

Deadlifting is about the best and worst thing you can do for your back (depending on your technique). If you end up sore, try a wider stance with a closer grip and go sumo style, or use a hex bar and you'll never have problems again :-)
Thanks mate. Yeah, I'm 6'3" and am lifting at quite a deficit so am going to look into Sumo but have always been set on Romanian. I just tweaked too much / got lazy on last set. Serves me right kinda.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Sumo is the bomb, I find it way more controllable :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sam_the_bogan
Fender
Fender

Post by sam_the_bogan »

dayl wrote:
sam_the_bogan wrote:Sweet little setup you've got there.

Thanks mate. Yeah, I'm 6'3" and am lifting at quite a deficit so am going to look into Sumo but have always been set on Romanian. I just tweaked too much / got lazy on last set. Serves me right kinda.
I feel your pain, literally. I'm 6'2, deadlifting has always been my weak spot. The hex bar will literally change your life.

Sumo will give you solid results. Maybe a little less hamstring activation, but that's not really a biggie.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Its just... many of the powerlifting sites I follow look down on the sumo :oops: lol I'll have to look into it. How are Hex bars? Never seen the technique or know about the differences but seen them used.

sam_the_bogan
Fender
Fender

Post by sam_the_bogan »

dayl wrote:Its just... many of the powerlifting sites I follow look down on the sumo :oops: lol I'll have to look into it. How are Hex bars? Never seen the technique or know about the differences but seen them used.
https://youtu.be/7K9wTlqg_OE

Because of how the weight is situated with a hex bar, it's much easier for us taller folk to keep our chests up and the right curve in the back. I can generally deadlift about 1.5 times as much with a hex bar and feel safe doing so.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Awesome Sam! thanks man

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Funny how a thread about amps got derailed into power lifting :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

jeremyb wrote:Funny how a thread about amps got derailed into power lifting :lol:
even more so given the size of the amps.

fender twin in each hand,theres a workout.Or molly's Behemothman10.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Sumo and Hex bars are cheating!! :D

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I had a twin once.
Carried it up a flight of stairs.

Once.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

Sounds like a bit of flexibility work is in order?

I do feel like hex is cheating, or at least a different exercise, a big part of dead is developing the back strength and lower joint flexibility to clear the knees without rounding out or losing balance.

If it works for you and avoids injury then go for whatever form you like, but there's real satisfaction in working through the challenges of strict traditional forms and coming out the other side.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Yeah, its looking like it happened because I was pulling reps with a weight that was too high for where Im at. I've been out of the game for a while and am now paying the price for rushing it. Wanting to get base strength back before hitting up a 5/3/1 program when really I should have just gone straight into the 5/3/1 with low weights.