NAD: Lil Orange and a Cab

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 385 times

NAD: Lil Orange and a Cab

Post by dayl »

So my son has been progressing well with his guitar this year. It was time for him to get his first amp. I managed to Snag an Orange Micro Terror and a New Peavey 112 with a blue marvel speaker for $180 each.

The first thing thing I have to say is that I wish I was able to get something like this when starting out... lord knows we spent more and got less. Im totally blown away by how this lil combo sounds. You can get some really nice tones out of this. Its good enough that I can teach him about breakup , volume roll off and bright/dark settings. He's practising the Pentatonic scale as I type this. I just showed him tonight.

Damn these little amps sound great, they're dirty but you can do so much with them.... and when they're pushed..... wow... toan in th zoan!

If you have someone that needs their first setup or is a lil strapped for cash but wants bang for buck, this is it. Great sounding amp. Cabs sounding good out of the box too.

Stoked, kicking back as my son is practising on his first amp with his first gat. Good vibes on, best money spent on gear in some time. :thumbup:

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: NAD: Lil Orange and a Cab

Post by Scooter13 »

Yeah man. Micro terrors sound great. That pic makes the cab look like a 4x12 haha

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Awesome sounding little amps!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

You could almost have that on a pedalboard
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

You can see why they call them ' lunchbox amps'

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

When I was your son's age I would have preferred the DSL100 instead of a puny lunchbox amp :mental:

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

That would be a great setup, nice. Your son is a lucky kid! I'm sure someone brought that little head along to the Chch Gearfest and it got cranked by Molly through a Friedman 4x12 - sounded amazing. As for the Peavey, I think I have the same cab...

Was really surprised at how good it sounded, possibly because I was expecting it to be pretty shit ?!

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

What's that tweed lookin thing? It looks really cool.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Single coil wrote:What's that tweed lookin thing? It looks really cool.
It's an MPC combo, based off a 65 Princeton Reverb.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

KNNZ wrote:When I was your son's age I would have preferred the DSL100 instead of a puny lunchbox amp :mental:
Haha he has played on my DSL100 a couple times

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Was really surprised at how good it sounded, possibly because I was expecting it to be pretty shit ?!
Yeah thats it.. was expecting much less. I actually bought it as it was advertised as being able to be switched to oped back via removable back... but its completely closed... not fussed after plugging it in though.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Yeah, I cant say I had huge expectations but knew it would be a good starter to get him jamming. After having a good play around on it, I would have no issue micing it up for a part or two in future, it does the work really well. Kinda one trick pony but... that trick.

Nothing flash or cork sniffy going on here at all 100% budget setup. Old RG350DX stock going into amp and cab.

I dont want to give the impression that it rivals the big boys etc, its more that I was really surprised and happy that I could get such a great and useable tone out of the most budget setup I've purchased since I was a kid.