What's this amp actually worth?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

What's this amp actually worth?

Post by Reg18 »

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1326778465

Tweed Deluxe head, sounds like it's home built.
It's about the 4th Time I've seen it listed so Clearly it's not worth $800 but I'm guessing he is valuing it based on his time doing all the dovetail joints and assembly etc.
It looks like a nice job but what's the real value?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: What's this amp actually worth?

Post by jeremyb »

Looking at the parts used thats probably what it would cost in parts I would expect :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

it depends what somebody would pay for it :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

He's probably about $400, maybe $500 at a push. The whole circuit is about 30 components so, while the components are good quality, there aren't huge numbers of any of them and at the small scale hand-made level you can spend $2 per cap as oppose to 12c and come out pretty well.

Evidently it's not worth the asking price but hand-made stuff is always hard to gauge, especially when there's no shots of the workmanship on the inside. The externals look fine but that's not where the quality needs to be displayed.

I just noticed you asked for a gut shot already, nice move.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Decent components, decent build, theres been some hours spent on it to factor in.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

And the bucket of KFC wicked wings.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

A kit set Deluxe from Mojotone will cost you more than that unassembled ($742.63 USD plus shipping, plus GST). All those components plus chassis, speaker, cab, transformers etc add up.

http://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKi ... xe-Amp-Kit
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I would say its easily worth $800, it hasn't sold because its has the wrong badge on it, sad but true in this market.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I would say its easily worth $800, it hasn't sold because its has the wrong badge on it, sad but true in this market.
If done right it would be a killer amp. Some very good 5E3 clones around. Hard to know
via the net. Test in person is best bet. Hard to sell being a clone, but if well built it will make a good amp for somebody who wants a Deluxe tone and is not fussed about branding.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I dunno. It's no Tamerlane and that was hard to shift at similar money.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Well the kit without tubes, speaker, or cabinet is $377 USD from Mojotone. But as always, you can source components yourself for cheaper. Hell, you can have chassis made for around $10 if you take a plan to a metal shop.

It's not going to be $800 worth of components at any rate, but if that's what he wants then that's what he wants. If it doesn't sell, maybe he'll lower the price until it does.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Well the kit without tubes, speaker, or cabinet is $377 USD from Mojotone. But as always, you can source components yourself for cheaper. Hell, you can have chassis made for around $10 if you take a plan to a metal shop.

It's not going to be $800 worth of components at any rate, but if that's what he wants then that's what he wants. If it doesn't sell, maybe he'll lower the price until it does.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

NippleWrestler wrote: Hell, you can have chassis made for around $10 if you take a plan to a metal shop.
Not going to be stainless and screen printed at that price.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

NippleWrestler wrote:Well the kit without valves, speaker, or cabinet is $377 USD from Mojotone. But as always, you can source components yourself for cheaper. Hell, you can have chassis made for around $10 if you take a plan to a metal shop.

So what is $377 USD plus GST and shipping, plus valves, cab and speaker. Pretty close to $800 NZD I'd say.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:Well the kit without valves, speaker, or cabinet is $377 USD from Mojotone. But as always, you can source components yourself for cheaper. Hell, you can have chassis made for around $10 if you take a plan to a metal shop.

So what is $377 USD plus GST and shipping, plus valves, cab and speaker. Pretty close to $800 NZD I'd say.
Ryan sold me a very nice 5E3 1x12 combo a few years ago for $1,400 (new). I got that back in a trade on a Tone King. I'd expect to have to pay, say, $1,000 for that amp second-hand.