Amps of note in this forum's history

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Amps of note in this forum's history

Post by codedog »

I may be partial due to my participation in the Boss Katana thread, and owning one. The activities in that thread made me wonder, has any other amps caused such a stir in this forum's history?

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: Amps of note in this forum's history

Post by handsoffmatt »

I remember when pretty much everyone on the forum bought a ZT.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

HD500.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

there have been many amps that have done the rounds of the forum. Blacko's JTM45 came to me, then went to Slowy then went to Toany I believe. Each one of us loved it, but couldn't deal with the loudness required to make it sound so awesome. I used it at the last mission bay bluesfest, outdoors without micing up, it was great for that 100 meters away.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:HD500.
you're the only one. so that doesn't work.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I predict the katana fever will die out within 11 weeks and 6 days.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Toany's Ryan built amp has been around a few owners, anyone know where it is now?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

The Tamerlane Hodgee Baba. Never has an amp that sounded so good pleased so few people long term, myself included.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:there have been many amps that have done the rounds of the forum. Blacko's JTM45 came to me, then went to Slowy then went to Toany I believe. Each one of us loved it, but couldn't deal with the loudness required to make it sound so awesome. I used it at the last mission bay bluesfest, outdoors without micing up, it was great for that 100 meters away.
That's cool, I'd love to hear more about those "legendary" ones doing the rounds. At the moment I am more interested in a simultaneous splurging spree across the forum, more than any particular amp or model doing the rounds.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote:
Bg wrote:there have been many amps that have done the rounds of the forum. Blacko's JTM45 came to me, then went to Slowy then went to Toany I believe. Each one of us loved it, but couldn't deal with the loudness required to make it sound so awesome. I used it at the last mission bay bluesfest, outdoors without micing up, it was great for that 100 meters away.
That's cool, I'd love to hear more about those "legendary" ones doing the rounds. At the moment I am more interested in a simultaneous splurging spree across the forum, more than any particular amp or model doing the rounds.
too late, welcome to the forum...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

robnobcorncob wrote:The Tamerlane Hodgee Baba. Never has an amp that sounded so good pleased so few people long term, myself included.
why did it get sold so often? no-one ever said on their selling threads, funnily enough....

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

I'm impressed that thread stayed on track for so many pages

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Bg wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:The Tamerlane Hodgee Baba. Never has an amp that sounded so good pleased so few people long term, myself included.
why did it get sold so often? no-one ever said on their selling threads, funnily enough....
Because it's a really niche toan - I found it only liked Tele's didn't really have quite enough grunt in a band but wasn't quiet enough for home use. When the stars aligned, it was phenomenal but I felt you'd have to reaaaaaaally love tweed tone for it to be your one and only.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

handsoffmatt wrote:I remember when pretty much everyone on the forum bought a ZT.
How long ago did this happen? Did it just fizzle off? Where did all those ZTs go to I wonder...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I still miss that :( most glorious amp ever.

Swapped it to GrantB for the Tamerlane...I'm starting to see a thread here
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz