Speaker Haaaalp!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 88 times

Speaker Haaaalp!

Post by Jim.h »

Hello all!

I have a custom Dr.z 2x12 (some of you may have seen photos on here) and love it! it has a V30 and a creamback! semi open back.

I now have an empty mesa closed back 2x12 cab. which i want to leave at the jam room. I will be playing in a full band situation. enjoy my mids, high gain and long walks on the beach. I will be running my friedman BE through it.

I am thinking of just going with the same as the Dr.Z for my Mesa. But would any of you have any suggestions or experience with the following?

http://celestion.com/product/15/g12t75/

http://celestion.com/product/142/vtype/

I was thinking of a G12T75 + G12H75 Creamback. any thoughts?

Would love some advice/feedback. Im very much a noob with speakers and technical shit. Im a players playaaaa

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Speaker Haaaalp!

Post by Slowy »

Had a G12T75 for a while on long term loan. Put it in a 1x 12 cabinet. It was deeply unpleasant; hard, middy and just not nice to listen to at all. Took it to a gig 'cos I was too lazy to swap it out. Best live tone I'd ever had. So clear and easy to hear every nuance (whatever they are) of my playing. Most impressed.

Short version: great gigging speaker, look elsewhere for the bedroom.

Never met a V.

My current favourite combination is a G12H and Blue. Those guys have got each other's back.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

GT75's are LDC ( large dust cap) Creamback's I believe are regular. When combining speakers mixing dust caps is widely regarded as a bad idea.
The large cap will roll off top which the smaller cap won't, consequently it can be awkward eq' ing your amp to suit both speakers simultaneously.
I've tried it myself and while I didn't find the results offensive I could hear what the nay sayers were talking about.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

You know what kicks ass with a g12h75 cream back?

A celestion gold ;-)
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jim.h »

TmcB wrote:You know what kicks ass with a g12h75 cream back?

A celestion gold ;-)
hahahah gold just werent my jam bro!

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jim.h »

Dharmajester wrote:GT75's are LDC ( large dust cap) Creamback's I believe are regular. When combining speakers mixing dust caps is widely regarded as a bad idea.
The large cap will roll off top which the smaller cap won't, consequently it can be awkward eq' ing your amp to suit both speakers simultaneously.
I've tried it myself and while I didn't find the results offensive I could hear what the nay sayers were talking about.
okay.... this is new...

What would you recomend to pair with the creamback? or vice versa. im considering sticking with what i know and thats getting the same speaker combo as my dr.z for the mesa.

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jim.h »

Slowy wrote:Had a G12T75 for a while on long term loan. Put it in a 1x 12 cabinet. It was deeply unpleasant; hard, middy and just not nice to listen to at all. Took it to a gig 'cos I was too lazy to swap it out. Best live tone I'd ever had. So clear and easy to hear every nuance (whatever they are) of my playing. Most impressed.

Short version: great gigging speaker, look elsewhere for the bedroom.

Never met a V.

My current favourite combination is a G12H and Blue. Those guys have got each other's back.
thats good to know! would you think the G12H would pair well with the G12T75?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Jim.h wrote: you think the G12H would pair well with the G12T75?
Was wondering that as I wrote my previous post. Honestly don't know.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jim.h »

Slowy wrote:
Jim.h wrote: you think the G12H would pair well with the G12T75?
Was wondering that as I wrote my previous post. Honestly don't know.
hmmmm..... maybe i should get those two plus the V30 and have some fun switching them around.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

G12H or G12T + V30 is a time honoured tasty mix
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

TmcB wrote:G12H or G12T + V30 is a time honoured tasty mix
H and V30 for the Dustcap match.
Not a fan of V 30's , Greenbacks, or Creamback M's. Prefer a Scumback J in that area.
The Creamback H's are nice speakers once broken in and the Anni H's are good for lower volume use. They can get a bit bright at high volume. Finding what works best with your amp/ cab and suits your taste can be an interesting and frequently expensive journey.

An H will dominate a 75 in the same cab and be much brighter.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson