Reflektor EL84 valves

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 29 times

Reflektor EL84 valves

Post by stratkiwi »

I scored a couple of old Russian reflektor 6p14p EL84 valves at $15 each to try in my Laney cub head, the seller is going to match up a pair for me on his tester for no extra charge, when I researched them the laney cub 12 was mentioned in a post on TDPRI and apparently the amp sounded even better I did read some good things along with the bad but hey that's how the inter web rolls when it comes to opinions . Has anyone had any experience with these old valves and what differences would I be noticing compared to the ruby 6bq5 EL84 valves that came in the amp. Preamp valves are going to be changed to fender GT-12ax7 gold series as I want to see if the sound in my amp improves.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: Reflektor EL84 valves

Post by GrantB »

I'm not sure but just make sure the pins are exactly correct - otherwise, not good.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

They should fit unless some EL84 valves have a different pin configuration, I had googled these valves and saw that others have bought and used these valves in their amps.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

They will plug straight in. I have used them from here http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/EL84- ... emium-EL84
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

sizzlingbadger wrote:They will plug straight in. I have used them from here http://www.thetubestore.com/valves/EL84 ... emium-EL84
Thanks for that how do you find them sound wise was looking on the site you gave the link to and the 6p14p (7189) valves are included in a premium package deal for the laney cub 12 and cub heads.

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

The new output tubes arrived today put them in the amp and it sounds a lot warmer and bigger than what the ruby El84c tubes sounded very pleased with them

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Those valves are excellent. Military spec, almost bullet proof and very long life.
I have used them a lot but they are getting harder to find.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I had them in an AC15 and they were great, would be really good in an AC30 too where they would probably stand up to all the vibes really well.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:Those valves are excellent. Military spec, almost bullet proof and very long life.
I have used them a lot but they are getting harder to find.
I noticed that the glass on those valves was a lot thicker than the ones that were already in my amp one of them even slipped out of my fingers and hit the garage floor and went rolling across it picked up the valve and there were no cracks or breaks in the glass, so I was bloody lucky on that. I might get hold of the guy in a couple of weeks and get another matched pair off him to have here as a spare set seeing he sells them for $15 each, also keeping a look out now for NOS 12ax7's. One thing I did notice straight off the bat that my amp appeared to be a bit louder after changing over to the NOS Russian valves

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

They are used in ICBMs! according to the net, quite literally built like a Russian tank.
I believe they also have a screen grid made of gold wire, probably why they are so popular with Hi Fi nutters.
Can you PM me the guys contact who you buy them from?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:They are used in ICBMs! according to the net, quite literally built like a Russian tank.
I believe they also have a screen grid made of gold wire, probably why they are so popular with Hi Fi nutters.
Can you PM me the guys contact who you buy them from?
They guy is on trade me under the name twenty_b looks like he has a few different types of valves available