Kemper Appreciation Thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Ok now there's a few enlightened folks here who now own Kempers, I thought a central NZG thread about Kemper, for Kemperites, here in NZG.

My latest news. Over the Christmas break I bought TheAmpFactory's custom shop Vox and Z-Wreck profile sets, plus MBritt's Dumble Pack. My thoughts:

1. MBritt's Dumble Pack - I LOVE THIS; but then no surprises given that 90% of my profiles on my Kemper are from MBritt's packs one and two before I even got this latest pack.
2. TAF's Z-Wreck - I like it a lot. Very dynamic.
3. TAF's Vox - not so sure on this. But trying to like it. That being said, I've always felt the same with actual live in the flesh Voxes too.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I have the Wreck as well - really good sounding, but so many different mic co figurations to choose from :lol:

Just need to figure out how I'm going to amplify it by the time the KFC arrives and I'll be set!

Looking forward to being able to take some shots of my Mark V settings once the new profiling method is launched.
Last edited by Eruera on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Kemper Appreciation Thread

Post by Kiwiaxe »

CLR. Anything else is just fucking around until you get a CLR (or two).

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Yep, Atomic CLR. Might be hard to get hold of one at the moment though - the NZ distributor is out of stock of both wedge and cab, and you don't see many secondhand ones come up.

I thought Stephen would've said full PA rig. That sounded absolutely immense! (Have you taken over that downstairs family room full time now???!!!)
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Kiwiaxe wrote:3. TAF's Vox - not so sure on this. But trying to like it. That being said, I've always felt the same with actual live in the flesh Voxes too.
One of my faves is an AC30 handwired profile. I think it depends on your musical tastes - you seem prefer the more traditional hard rock stuff and I like the 80's indie sound.

I also like using a vintage Fender Twin profile for cleans and 65 Amps Tupelo. I have a love/hate relationship with just about all the Marshall profiles I have tried (currently using 3 different ones). Sometimes I love them, sometimes they just sound ugly - they seem to have strange harmonic overtones around the frequency of an open B string and a couple of notes up. That just may be my ears though.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Eruera wrote:I have the Wreck as well - really good sounding, but so many different mic co figurations to choose from :lol:

Just need to figure out how I'm going to amplify it by the time the KFC arrives and I'll be set!

Looking forward to being able to take some shots of my Mark V settings once the new profiling method is launched.
How are you using it atm? Headphones? And what is this new profiling method?
Loving it so far

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Just using my monitors.

You take a normal profile and a profile from a speaker tap, then the Kemper does some wizardry to give you a profile of the whole amp including speaker interaction that you can then use an IR with for a cab. I wouldn't really be able to mic up well enough to get a good complete profile so I think it'll help.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Conway wrote:Yep, Atomic CLR. Might be hard to get hold of one at the moment though - the NZ distributor is out of stock of both wedge and cab, and you don't see many secondhand ones come up.

I thought Stephen would've said full PA rig. That sounded absolutely immense! (Have you taken over that downstairs family room full time now???!!!)
Lol that was epic. Guitar through full PA rig includung a sub in one's living room was lots of fun. But no, that couldn't last!

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Eruera wrote:I have the Wreck as well - really good sounding, but so many different mic co figurations to choose from :lol:

I think that things have moved past profiling at home. If you are handy with mics and gear then you can get a great profile of your amp - but the commercial ones being done by professionals who have done hundreds (or thousands) of profiles are another step up again.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

The problem for me is that I use the V quite unconventionally so none of the profiles I've come across are really doing it haha

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Eruera wrote:The problem for me is that I use the V quite unconventionally
In what way?

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Low-gain high-mids :lol:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Eruera wrote:Low-gain high-mids :lol:
On which Mark V channels?

I started off trying to find Mark V profiles to duplicate how I had mine set up, but then realised what I really wanted was a nice sparkling clean, a Voxish chime, a Tweed and a Marshall medium gain. So they're the profiles I looked for and continue to use.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

BTW, Stephen likes to find a profile and not ever shift the EQ and presence off 12 o'clock, whereas I have quite different EQ settings rig by rig. So dial the mids right up if that's what you like.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Yep, I've found that there's enough profiles out there that if I love it then I don't need to do any tweaking to the other settings.

Of course, I do have approximately 12000 rigs in my RM :(