Tube charts

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Tube charts

Post by Yoda »

Does anyone here have or know of a link to a site that explains tube (valve) characterists in sonic terms? I don't mean in the general sense. I understand the basic differences between 6V6, 6L6, EL84, EL34. I mean the difference between specific tube part numbers. Like say, how a Sovtek EL-34 STR-447 differs sonicly from a Siemens N.O.S. EL-34 STR-450. (I got those numbers from a Mesa/Boogie parts page just to use an an example) Is there a site which can describe these and other tube sonic differences? I've tried google but all I get is general information on basic tube groups.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

An el34 is an el34...Sovtek have names like 12ax7A, 12ax7Lps which is just a different construction(just like buying a different brand tube nearly). Electrically they should be identical but the construction changes the tone somewhat?

It sounds like you are asking the sonic differences between brands, the only thing to do is find reviews etc on them

I think that str thing might be mesa tubes only? Or is it a brand str/harma(Chinese tubes)

You can get tubes that have higher ratings like 6l6GC vs 6l6G vs 6l6 also JJ 6v6's and some of there el34's (e34l)

I would stay away from mesa tubes, buy a manufacturers' tube not a relabeler, and save cash

HTH :D

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/ is a good resource, have a look at the wealth of information there.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

Thanks Bluesbird.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.