Just got a new amp 73 Holden anyone no anything about them ?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Voxshall
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Just got a new amp 73 Holden anyone no anything about them ?

Post by Voxshall »

It has two KT88 tubes four 12ax7 one for tremolo two channels both with pull out gain controls. I got it for $250 with out hearing it so I'm excited to hear what it sounds like. I think it was copied from a fender design anyone heard them before.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Yep - if it's the 100watt head, I used to have two back in the very early 70's.

Great if you wound them up full bore with a strat - think Bassman with bit of crunch but not full Marshall. You could also use an SG with nice sounds but a LP was a bit too much bass.

However in my day no master vol and the ears used to ring on a bit after practise/gigs so lug protectors might be an advantage. Have forgotten most of the setting I used to use (it was 30 plus year ago now) except for 'woman tone' which was turn all the treble on the amp down to nothing, the vol bass and mid up full and the teble on the guitar all the way up. Think 'strange brew, swlabr woo woo type sound'.

Oh just remembered a favourite - with a an SG turn all up full bore, pull out the gain boost knob and do Claptons 'crossroads' but don't play the a riff in the first postion - instead use the 3rd and 4th strings (5th and 7th fret) OK you can play the D7th in the first postion but try the em up at the 7th position with the top string left open - then you can slide DOWN into the turnaround riff. You get all sorts of lovely squeals, howls and things that way.

Basically good reliable amps - not marvelouslly distinguished but never let me down and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did mine.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I've got one and the tone is something else. Modelled off of a Plexi head, but with the two 88s, mine's in need of a revalve, but check out my profile, there is a picture of it in there.
When I bought it it was in crap condition cosmetically, but it sounded so very very good. I used to treble boost it and run my Burns through it at about 10 o'clock through to 2 o'clock. stupidly loud but such a sweet tone.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

Just finished playing through it, wow what an amp it sounds like a great big fat Fender like clean sustain, I'm really enjoying it. I think it suits Strats more so than Les Pauls but everything sounds good through it. The tubes are the original GEC Brit KT88's and they sound fantastic. Hey Goldtop0 I think you would love it due the clean sustaining sound you go for. Can't wait to give it another good test tomorrow.

stewbaby
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stewbaby »

I have a Holden Graphic from about the same era. 100W of pure vintage toob sweetness. Mine has a 6-band equaliser and weighs about 40 kg.

What speaker cab you playing it through? I was lucky enough to get the original vintage Jansen 2x12 with it.

You MUST enjoy it's warm friendly tone with optional growly fun!
Stewbaby

All your guitars are belong to us!

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

I'm playing through a duo bin with two vintage 30's, it keeps blowing fuses so it wasn't as good a deal as I thought. But it still sounds fantastic.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Gadz! I'd forgotten all about tube amps blowing fuses! Now I remember - the 43 spare fuses I had to carry round - half of them for my Austin Maxi!! LOL

Then there was the old ciggy aluminium foil wrapped round the fuse, trick and finally the 'leave the fuse right out of the loop (bypass) and sell it fast' trick... Sounds like you copped the last trick...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

You shouldn't take it to lightly, the fuses believe it or not are there for a reason - to protect you and the equipment.

It could indicate something is seriously wrong such as a short to the chassis.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

I brought it from a friend who will give me my money back if it's serious, so I'm not to worried at this stage.