Mesa Boogie : 6L6 vs EL-34

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

*UNIQUE* wrote:From a plain logical perspective I agree with Mr Crow - each amp is designed circuitry wise to work with the given power section whatever it be. Maybe that's why changing didn't yield that much difference philipnz? But I'd go something that natively hosts 34's...and sell me the Mesa for like $13. Always wanted a 6L6 beast after I played a Mesa Blue Angel for a night...love that brown sound.
You could always keep the Mesa and look for a Sovtek Mig 50 or something with 34's at a bargain price?
Unique, the blue angel uses 6v6, not 6l6 valves. 6v6s were used in early small tweed fenders and in the blackface deluxe reverb to this day. You can fit 6l6s to the BA without it throwing a wobbly, though.

Sam, ditch the recto. Changing the power valves will have some effect on the tone, but not as much as getting a dedicated el34 amp like a marshall would. Circuitry and transformer really play a big part in an amp's signature tone, and changing valves can't mask that totally. In some cases, amp circuitry can be designed so that it completely fools you into thinking you're hearing a different type of valve. For example, the 5150 uses 6l6s but sounds much more like an el34 marshall tone than, say, a fender or boogie 6l6 tone. This is due to the rest of the stuff surrounding the valves.

You may want to look at the new mesa stiletto, which is their first ever dedicated el34 amp, and sounds great. Not as much gain as a recto, though, if super buzzsaw is your thing. A friend of mine got a new Orange recently, and it sounds great, though less gain again. A real AC-DC kind of tone.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

samply can make your Rectro sounds more Trash, if you dig Old School Trash metal, go for it, I changed it with my Solo 50 serie2 a weeks ago, sounds less bottom end but more Trash metal tone. I love it. Buy the way, I use green Mesa EL34

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I've done that before - I meant 6V6 which is of course the brown sound...

Hey Ash - Sovtek on TradeMe right now...they rock...buy it...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

That Sovtek is ace. God its even brand new!
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Get your filthy hands off it, you swine, it's mine! all mine!

- or it would be if I had the spare cash - sob, sniff, sigh!

talk about deja vu eh?? LOL
You can't do THAT on stage!

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Tell you what is also a bargain is the Fender accostasonic that's on trademe now - at $700 no reserve and, with the glowing reviews I've seen, accoustic hog heaven has never been so cheap.

Ever noticed it's allways the way someone sell the idol of your eye just when the cash runs out! 'buggeur' as the froggies elocute.
You can't do THAT on stage!