DJW amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

aliasceiza
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: DJW amps

Post by aliasceiza »

Well, the trade went through, initial impressions are very cool, running through a quad it's got an awesome clean, and a nice light to medium crunch, still not overly sure we need it though, I doubt it would put out enough volume for our band, and I've got my own custom head which is way cooler, for me anyway, but still, groovey little rock monser it definitely is!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

aliasceiza wrote:Well, the trade went through, initial impressions are very cool, running through a quad it's got an awesome clean, and a nice light to medium crunch, still not overly sure we need it though, I doubt it would put out enough volume for our band, and I've got my own custom head which is way cooler, for me anyway, but still, groovey little rock monser it definitely is!
Dibs. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

No worries mate, give me a few days to get to know it, it will be Thursday at the earliest, morning after band practice...but will almost definitely have to move it on, our truck just broke down at the boat ramp, just after pulling the boat out of the water, so there will be some bills coming up!

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

If Slowy passes on it, let me know how much you want for it and I'll see if I can stretch it.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

All good man...I've had a good run with it this morning, about 2.5hours, and while it does crunch up nicely, my own custom head does everything the same and more, would be a useful recording amp...so far I've tried it through a quad box, and a single 10" in an old Marshall Lead12, just using it as a cab of course, and I think it likes the single 10" more...more speaker interaction I guess!

Once you get the gain passed half way it starts getting pretty mushy, but before half it's cool, with the Master wide open of course!

the tone control doesn't seem to have much range, probably switches out of circuit when turned hard right by the sounds, but doesn't go overly dark the other way, more designed for adjusting tone to suit different guitars than actual tone shaping I would say!

It's cool, and good to see another little NZ amp builder coming out of the woodwork, I've never heard of them before this trade!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Fred Dagg is building amps now!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:Fred Dagg is building amps now!

thats amazing and are guaranteed to go up in price...you know given he died a few weeks ago :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:Fred Dagg is building amps now!

The Cowpoke one sounded quite nice...

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Very nice thread resurrection!

I was keeping my eyes on one of the DJW amps housed in a small Marshall combo, think it only had 3 knobs and the seller was after $1,200 on TM. No doubt it was a great little amp if not somewhat on the pricey side - or maybe I was missing something.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I've had the Kereru (10w, same as BG but in a full sized enclosure) and the Kakariki (Trainwreck Rocket Clone). Both were great amps but man I wish I'd kept the Kakariki.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yeah the one I have is awesome. it really rocks and punches way above its size.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

null_pointer wrote:(10w, same as BG but in a full sized enclosure)
BG is only 10w? And why do they keep him in a small enclosure?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

You don't want him to free his arms. Trust me.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Very nice thread resurrection!

I was keeping my eyes on one of the DJW amps housed in a small Marshall combo, think it only had 3 knobs and the seller was after $1,200 on TM. No doubt it was a great little amp if not somewhat on the pricey side - or maybe I was missing something.
I've got a DJW Black Cat Bone I'm not using much... 18w, plexi-style amp, in a Marshall combo, greenback speaker, McPherson power soak mod...has more knobs though :moresarc:
You can have it for $600, plus shipping.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Very nice thread resurrection!

I've got a DJW Black Cat Bone I'm not using much... 18w, plexi-style amp, in a Marshall combo, greenback speaker, McPherson power soak mod...has more knobs though :moresarc:
You can have it for $600, plus shipping.
Oh god... I wish you hadn't mentioned that... :bummed: