Hell hath no fury like a man without amp....

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

UPDATE: Amp returned!

After a ludicrous 5 MONTHS, I once again have a DSL 100.

I collected the amp yesterday, and took it home to give it a good run. Well, the thing sounds like a Marshall, but it's different to any other DSL I've played. The clean is still the same superb clean on the DSL range, but the gain sound is more smooth, almost fluid, not quite as jagged as before. If you crank it to max on the Lead 2 setting, it does get fuzzy, but overall, I have found that the tubes they put in (Marshall Gold) have made a difference in tone, much more responsive to pick attack and the overall sound has less treble, which is compensated for by the naturally crunchy tone of my SG. With medium amounts of gain, it actually sounds more like a LP, with gain over 7, it goes to smooth crunch definitive SG tones, so I'm very happy with the overall result.

The best thing is that I was not charged for ANY of the work, including the tubes, which would of come to around $300 + labour. The only thing they charged me for was a footswitch which even then they gave to me as cost price, the nicer LED version of the standard 1-button switch with extended lead length. All good.

The waiting time for parts was riduculous, nearly four months, but I basically have a brand new DSL, almost every component in it is brand new and it's in total cost me less than half of the price of new one, just had to take some time to get it sorted! The tone of this thing is great, I can perfectly nail the Donna's "Fall Behind Me" sound, early Sabbath tones, ACDC is piss easy and it gets a really similar sound to Sommerset/Jimmy Eat World/Lost Prophets when the mids are dialed up more. Sounds good tuned to drop C for thrice as well.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

cool :D Good to hear a happy ending (and I suppose the neighbours can't hear anything else :P )
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Tsuken wrote:cool :D Good to hear a happy ending (and I suppose the neighbours can't hear anything else :P )
I've actually been quite subdued with it so far, but the weekend is rolling up..... :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Five months though!!!! - reckon they should have give you the f/s free as a grovelling apology for taking so long.

You'd really have to wonder - after all most electronic parts are not exactly large and even if they have to come from the US there must be planes with space. Plus if it needed that much work I reckon they would have been bettter to give you another new one and repair the old/sell off as a second hand.

Mind you have also just experienced the same sort of crassly incompetant 'service' - took a guitar in for some work on Monday, by Friday afternoon 4pm they still had not even looked at it. 'We were snowed under' was the excuse but the answer is 'tough!! hire some more staff/use the phone to let me know - I don't appreciate coming in after what should be the required period you nominated to find you've not even started the job, nor do you get back to me even after I phone you!'

Their loss of course - my spending there for the past year or so was $3,300 on guitars alone but they won't be selling me any more.

Anyway, glad to hear it all worked out in the long run.
You can't do THAT on stage!