Amp Alert - New Vox AC30's on the way.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

philipnz
PRS
PRS
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Amp Alert - New Vox AC30's on the way.

Post by philipnz »

These look sweet. Due to be made in China in a factory owned by Vox (Korg).

Just check out the features. Will they be good enough to rattle the vintage/reissue/HW closet?

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/ac30/ac_30cc.htm

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Looks great - I imagine by the time they get here they'll cost about a year's salary??
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

They shouldn't.
Here are the indicative street USA prices
2*12 Greenbacks $US1000 current reissue $US1800
2*12 Blues $US1700 current reissue $US2200

The NZ list price of a Reissue Greenback is $NZ3700. By my reckoning the price of the new Greenback in NZ should be $NZ2000. And the amps only have to come from China, not England.

There is also a 1*12 and Head priced at $US900 and $US800 respectively.

As far as quality goes, no doubt people will be very critical of the new amps being made in China. Those people also love the oil stains left on their garage floor by British made cars.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

It will be interesting to see how they compare inside to a 'real' British one. I suspect they will be downsizing the non-critical components and using PCBs where they can. On the other hand, maybe they will go the whole hog and just rely on cheap labour to keep the price down...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

LOL - well, that's about my salary.....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

The British one uses a PCB and the Valves are mounted on their sides. Agreed though there is bound to be a lot of solid state components in there especially in the reverb and trem. Here are some snippets from the developers.
Just to give you guys a bit more in-sight on the detail of the new design: -
Carbon Film resistors in the right places of the signal chain.

Axial Polyester capacitors.

Both transformers & the choke are built to the old Albion specs (we are actually making the transformers ourselves).

The chassis is an "L" shape steel/aluminium two piece based on the original shape, and mounted on a shelf like the originals. Apart from being more historically correct this gives the tubes an easier life by mounting the EL84s upright, and also helps reduce microphonics. The steel/aluminium also helps bring the hum down to absolute mininum levels, along with getting the grounding as best as I could probably get, the hum levels are virtually non-exsistant.

I may be biased here, but I personally think that I have created probably the most sweetest AC30 variants ever - I am particularly proud of this amp out of all the products I've ever done, it is adictive to play.
That's my opinion as a guitar player and not just "marketing' BS.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Is it just me or is this all getting seriously weird? I mean in a few years time you will be plugging in your korean made Gretch into a Chinese made Vox amp to get that classic UK beatles sound.

Alterntively you could plug your chinese strat into your Indian made Park amp for that authentic 60's american sound.

Maybe you should plug your Indoneasian Epiphone SG into wherever the current Fender Bassman comes from now for that authentic Kiwi 70's sound - think I'll just take to booze eh - it's simpler.
You can't do THAT on stage!