Strat tone?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Strat tone?

Post by TMG 03 »

What the Best Strat tone we are all getting these days ?
What settings do you have on the Amp ?

I always seem to just get a spanky tone from a strat ? :cry:

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I have a mean Strat tone at the moment, with my AC30 TB on about 6 you get a nice edgy tone, similar to early Pete Townsend, then with my TS9 cranked to full volume and gain on about 8 tone half way there's a huge fat warm buttery tone, and that's on any pickup.

Incidentally that's 'just' a Squier, however it is a 40th anniversary job, so I am wondering if there are special pickups in it. (i've owned it since new). Anywho, it sounds ace.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

You play with an AC30 on 6 and a TS9 turned to full :shock:

What sort of twisted man are you ? THat must hurt the ears mate :?

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Geeesus!
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

just been playing mine along with the Roger Waters DVD - hard to get a good strat tone through the Pod for some reason, sounds much better through the amp, but I've found a decent comprimise with the tone backed right off so its not too spanky.

Think I'll dial the AC30 patch in ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

TMG 03 wrote:You play with an AC30 on 6 and a TS9 turned to full :shock:

What sort of twisted man are you ? THat must hurt the ears mate :?
When i play with the Burns I play with EVERYTHING flat out. treble booster, Fat Cat and TS9, now that makes some noise.
Anyway, hearing is for the meek ;)

Gotta try that AC30 patch BG, if you can get to sound like it's on the edge of breaking up it sounds amazing.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

On my amp when I play live - everything is set to 12 o'clock (mid points)and I most often use just the neck pup ands the tone suits me.

When I'm playing at home I prefer positions 2 & 4 on the strat, but not live.

IME - I've found some great tones at home, but when in the band mix - positions 1 & 5 work best for me.

I never use distortion pedal, 'cos it doesn't cut through the mix, although overdrive does. Delay sounds far better at home than live.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

the AC30 on the POD is quite respectable but needs the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal in front just to break it up more :) I realised last night that my POD was sounding bad because I'd changed all my regular patches for the LP so they were going to sound spanky. Ended up getting some really good sounds.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

I use primarily two Strats - a Strat Plus from '89 and an '84 1962 Re-Issue. The spanky-ness can be associated with the in between pick up modes and I use these less often than on an actual pickup alone. I use all of the pickups equally, and the RI has a wicked bridge tone through any of my amps. I will put my rectum on the line and say that I think Strats sound better through EL84 driven amps rather than say 6L6 etc...just my thoughts (Jimi would disagree).
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Rog

Post by Rog »

> I will put my rectum on the line

Please don't!
Oh the horror!

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Can you Strat guys pick a Alder / Ash or Maple Strat apart from the sound ?

Or even Basswood ?

Rog

Post by Rog »

I couldn't tell the differnce between the woods and still wouldn't be able to if you gave me a plank of each with the name carved into it!!

I have absolutely no smegging idea what any of my guitars & basses are made from - it just isn't important to me.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

no wonder you like Fenders ;)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

TMG 03 wrote:Can you Strat guys pick a Alder / Ash or Maple Strat apart from the sound ?

Or even Basswood ?
Its quite hard to tell Ash and Alder apart, but if anything Alder has more of a honking sound. Greg's tele body has quite a distinct middy honk when tapped.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

*UNIQUE* wrote:The spanky-ness can be associated with the in between pick up modes and I use these less often than on an actual pickup alone. ............
If anyone wants to emulate that tone on a humbucker equipped guitar you can wire the bridge pickup coils in parallel and try in phase and out of phase to see which sounds best. Works better with some pickups than others. You could run a push-pull tone pot or a miniswitch to control it.
*UNIQUE* wrote:.........I will put my rectum on the line and say that I think Strats sound better through EL84 driven amps rather than say 6L6 etc...just my thoughts (Jimi would disagree).
I though Jimi's amps had EL34s like other Marshalls... Or was he using very early 6L6 versions?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand