Over Zealous Soundman

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

If you find a good soundman, marry him.

one time we did this crap gig in whakatane and the soundguys seemed like on to it blokes, doing all the right things. They took about 25 mins to mic up the guitar amp and eventually used a DI box.................on a 5150..............can you imagine how fukcing terrible a DI'd 5150 would sound cranking through a huge P.A? I dont have to :S I wish I had told them to fuck off and let me do it, lol.

What really fucked me off more is that they had a flash computer all set up and were like 'yeah we're gonna record it for you! its gonna be sweet! awesome! mad keen! I'm your best mate!" then we play and its all 'oh yeah we forgot one cable to the comp so we didnt bother recording it'

bastards.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Didn't someone once bring up an issue regarding sound being different when you're out there in the audience zone?

Maybe you should get someone else to give their opinion of how it sounds with his settings and your settings from where the audience is?

Is he respected or known by others to be good or known by others to be over zealous?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

The audience in a full house sucks up a lot of the treble (or is is bass?) and the overall level. Everything sounds different once the place is full of sweaty writhing teenage girls ;) But then that never happens the way we all wish it would either....
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

ash wrote:The audience in a full house sucks up a lot of the treble (or is is bass?) and the overall level. Everything sounds different once the place is full of sweaty writhing teenage girls ;) But then that never happens the way we all wish it would either....
Also these girls should be wardrobe impared.

stark
Squier

Post by stark »

ash wrote:The audience in a full house sucks up a lot of the treble (or is is bass?)
treble. which is why your should have the FOH horns firing over ppls heads to get the sound to the back.

fabric eats treble. carpets, upholstery, curtains, clothes...insist on your audience being naked and you'll have a much clearer sound and won't need to use as much reverb. :D
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Richy11 wrote:
ash wrote:Everything sounds different once the place is full of sweaty writhing teenage girls ;) But then that never happens the way we all wish it would either....
Also these girls should be wardrobe impared.
Yes, and not at all shy :D

You can tell them that its all in aid of the sound quality. DO IT FOR THE REVERB!! :shock:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Remember the poor sod is there with all the hype/excitment and he's about as exciting/relevant to the audience as the keyboard player (apologies to Phil but it's true - Guitarists, singers and Bass players are the group as far as the audience are concerned)
But in our band I'm the singer on 90% of the songs. Play guitar on 50% and keyboards on 50%. And I'm up front in your face. I do understand what you mean though and I chose my stand (single pier ultimate) and dropped from a double keyboard rig to a single to be more visible.
How many times have you been to a concert, and the sound was less than perfect? Whose fault is that?
I remember PhillipNZ once saying that he went to see Shihad (possibly when they were playing as a band of a different name) and Jon Toogood went to his amp and cranked it up at the end of the song, ruining the levels for THE REST OF THE SHOW. Whose job was it to fix it? Who is pretty much the only person with the power to fix it? Who didn't do their job?????!?!
Jon Toogoods! The volume was great when they started. After the first song he cranked his amp to 11 and his guitar sounded like shit all night. Maybe he just needed more monitor but I never heard him ask for it. I'm sure he cranked it to launch a sonic assault on the first row. It was a shame.

I must admit, I've never been happy with the sound in my monitors from a big rig with soundguy. They either run no effects or very little through monitors and to me I sound like crap au naturale. But people I send out front say it sounds fantastic. You have to trust them. I think running the guitar through the desk as a volume control is nuts though. Better a powerbrake to reduce the volume and mic it up from there.

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

I wouldn't trust anybody to try and set up my rig. It's my business and no one elses.

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

yup, i stood my ground and kept my settings.
for anyone interested controlling my volume from the sound desk with a stereo DI box worked better than i expected! didnt alter the tone or gain levels at all.

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

Power to the people stick it to the man.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

there is a point though that what you may be hearing is totally different to what the people in the back are hearing...

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

It should depend how good the sound guy is.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

that too... ;)

what if your sound guy was tone deaf?

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

Like having a blind referey.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

all referees seem to have a disfunctional eyesite at exactly the right times!!! but that's for another forum..