MIDI

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

MIDI

Post by TMG 03 »

Any one here usea midi setup with their guitar setup ?

How does it work ? What would it be good for ? Is it hard to use ?

I have no idea about this type of Stuff.

Cheers
:D

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

I have used a midi footpedal to change the patches in my multieffects. In my duo days my sequencer changed all the patches as the song played through. I never had to step on anything.
You can use midi to back up the contents of your processor. And then of course you can have a midi interface on your guitar and play keyboards with it, Mainly for synth pads etc. Havent really seen that used much tho, nice gimmick.
Last edited by philipnz on Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

in what way? Midi preamps, Midi FX or Midi Synths?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Midi foot controller ? What does that do ? Is it like what you have with the pod.

You program something then use the midi FC to change them ?

Trying to drag my head into the 21century with music tech.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yes effectively. With the foot controller you can select which patch you want to play, or control wah/volume patches etc....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

So do these modelling amps have a midi option to change from 1 setting to another ?

Is it what you have with the pod foot controller?

Do I need to buy some rack gear to go into the amp first ?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep I'm pretty certain they all have foot controllers, the line6 ones would work with the switching pedal I have (with the four footswitches) or the full board with wah/expression pedals. Then you just change patches etc. All the gear is in the amp, the only exception would be the controller - these can be bloody expensive so its worth taking into consideration with the cost of the amp. Just the footswitch one I have, the RRP was about $300 - farkin' rip off. I got mine discounted for waaaay less than that.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Sounds to me like you're getting GAS for a modelling amp mate - sure you want to move away from the purity of your valve setup, to the evils of digital MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

Some modelling amps can change patches and store data via midi which mean you can buy any midi footpedal to control it. These can be large multinumbered or just a step up/step down two or three button one.
A lot of amps like the Vox dont have midi and need the proprietory footpedal which are invariably expensive.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Well sort of. I have read a bit on here about them and all the great features etc etc. But I am loking at maybe a zoom 505 type set up or are the modelling amps just better for that sort of thing.

Some modelling amps have a midi controller as an extra but my idea of midi was the rack mount stuff that keyboard players use or the midi file you can down load to play along with. I am lost as to how the midi format and gutiar amps work together?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

the effects are digital and are pretty much a dedicated computer in itself - this includes the modelling amp bits. Therefore its easier to control digitally, midi is just used as the method of controlling it and storing data etc.

If you end up with a modelling amp, I'm sooooo going to take the piss out of you :P

Stick with the Twin and buy some nice analogue pedals, you know your ears will love you for it :)

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

I cringe when ever you mention "Zoom 505", TMG. Going from your Fender (Twin?) and Mesa, I don't think that you could bear it. Unless Zoom have put out a new one, which is many, many times better, then I suggest that you steer clear, or at least try one out before you buy it. I remember feeling physically sick after listening to the distortion on mine, and I'm not joking, the sound they put out is head ache inducing.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

THe 505 thing is a gas thing for $50 of trade me. But I am not going to get to fizzed over them.

I know I would never hear the end of it if I got a mod amp. THe twin is great aprt from the stuffed back I have from it. Stark had a nice Fender Vibrolux the other week went we jammed and that was half the weight of my twin.

So if the patches are loaded into the amp then a midi fot controller is there as so you can edit them on the fly and change then from a to b to c etc, and apart from that and the whole digital thing there is nothing else to lear apart from programming them.

:P

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep pretty much, its a doddle if you like twiddling knobs and pushing buttons. It's always helpful if the bass player in your band can do that for you ;)

Nice Fender Champ in Cadenza which would be half the weight of your twin - or theres always the Classic 30/50. Or you could even buy a 1x12 cab for the Mesa.... you could borrow mine for the time being when we practice.

philipnz
PRS
PRS

Post by philipnz »

Speaking of which, I have a really nice Boss SE-70 multieffects processor on trademe at the moment. These are great units, Metallica used them. Read the Harmony Central reviews. Also a midi program change footpedal there too.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity