Amp Line up

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Amp Line up

Post by TMG 03 »

What is our current inventory of amp on the forum. What is you number one and why.

Fender twin
Mesa Boogie Mk1 head
Fender Princeton 112
Marshall 2x10 practise amp.

The twin has plenty of power (100wt) Is the loudest thing I have every heard. Great cleans and put a pedal in front of it and your rocking

The marshall is the practise amp in the study and sounds great at 1 on the dial and the onboard chorus turned on.

The other two are more GAS moments that I should have really said no , but I have them now.

I think It might be time to sell off a couple of them as I have no room in the study any more.

What you got lined up for sound. :wink:

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

I've still got my Ashton GA100 and I'm running a 40watt Rebel sterio amp out of that.
I'm still gonna get that 2x12 mashall cab soon though.

Ideally I want a Deizil V4 though, those things kick ass.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Numero uno is my Carvin R600 bass rig. 300+300W stereo/bi-amp into a 2x10+horn. I used to have a 15" cab for it, but I sold that. It is a beast and it works remarkably well for guitar too...

A Gunn Classic 100 was my main guitar amp until it died of smoking related illnesses.

Now have three Yamaha VX55s to mess with. One is a 2x10 vented combo and the other two are heads that can go to a good home any time soon.

I also have a 100W bass amp I built when I was too stingy to shell out for a 'real' amp. It sounds really good, but lacks the herbs for live perfomance.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Vox AC30TB/6 with two Vox Celestion Blue Bulldogs.
Vox Brian May Special
Holden Wasp Head
Jansen Bass 75
Ashton 4x12 Cabinet
Homemade (not by me) 1x12 cabinet.
Electro Sound Power Soak

Well the AC30 really needs no explanation, it is quite simply the nicest thing I have ever heard, period. It growls, howls sings and sears and that's before it's even off stand-by.
Actually not only is it the nicest thing I've ever heard, it's also the loudest. It's louder than the PA I was sitting right next to at Deep Purple.
I would reccomend anyone who's ever lusted after one of these things to make the effort to get one, it's a dream come true.

The Brian MAy special, is probably the coolest amp I've ever owned. I read a review that if you didn't like Queen then stay clear. Absolute bollocks. Not only could it be used as an ultra high gain practice amp, it's 10 watts would knock down a small building, it also does those great orchestrations that Brian MAy became known for. However the reason I use it most is as a treble booster. Plug it in and run it straight into the front of your amp for the warmest thickest overdrive.

The Holden Wasp is a brilliant amp, mine needs new valves at the moment but it's fantastic anyway, the overdrive is like an AC30 crossed with a JTM 45, thick warm and smooth but if you dial in a bit more treble on the guitar it starts to get nice and edgy. My favourite thing about the amp at the moment is the apperance. When I got it the vinyl was falling off and it was dirty, the dials were all different and it looked tired as a 0 year old hooker. However on stripping the vinyl back to the bare wood I discovered the cabinet is solid rimu. It's since been fitted with alloy knobs that look cool and the wood has been stained vintage cherry and then varnished.

The Jansen BAss 75 was the first amp I bought because I wanted it, nto because I needed it. Tone is of course very similar to a Fender BAssman.
My one needs new valves (like the Wasp) but it can give great clean tones and then with a bit of help from a tubescreamer or treble booster can give a huge overdrive tone, with single coils or humbuckers the tones are great.

The 4x12 would be the best value for money instrument I have. It's built by Ashton, however it's loaded with 4 red Celestions which are fantastic, seriously good. If you don't care what's on the front of your rig and you need a huge ass sound from your cabinet, be it chiming cleans or overblown valve distortion then this is fantastic. If you do care, by it anyway and take the badge off.

The 1x12 came with my first valve amp a Fender Super 60. Sounds great and for some reason is also able to be supremely loud. I seem to have a habbit of owning gear like that!

The Power soak is great and funilly enough very important when you have three valve amps! It was very well priced and is switchable between 8 and 16 ohms and seems extreemly well built.

So there you go, my rig in detail. Heres a picture to make it all seem even more fun!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Marshall JCM 900 4500, 50W head
4X12 1960A cabinet
15W Fender Frontman

The Marshall is my number one, because the Fender is a shitter, basically. Also, because it totally rocks! I keep it on low power 25W, and people (usually the same people who think that electric guitars are made of plastic) are amazed when I tell them that it's 25W.
My sister uses the Frontman, which has pretty dodgy distortion, but the clean channel is really good. PB, how much did the power soak cost?
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

I have:
Victoria Victoriette (2x10, 20W)
Marshall MG30RCD (1x12, 30W)

Obviously, the Victoria is by far the better of the two, and suits me down to the ground. The great clean, articulate sound emphasises the tonal difference between guitars and even pickups, doesn't colour the suond at all so it allows the natural sound from the guitar to come through. And the smooth, natural tube overdrive... 8) Get's all the sounds I need, with a range of tones defying the amp's simplicity.

The Marshall never gets any use anymore, only occasionally for a stereo chorus setup. Thinking of selling it, or using it for parts and building a small Champ or similar.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

gregtarr wrote:My sister uses the Frontman, which has pretty dodgy distortion, but the clean channel is really good. PB, how much did the power soak cost?
$189 including courier from Whangarei.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Matchless DC-30 30 watt - My amp-du-jour
Boogie Mark IV 85 watt - Gain machine
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Still using the Toneworks MosValve hybrid - 100 watts, it sounds surprisingly good with both Strat and LP, when I switch to dirty it sustains forever. Ibanez 65 Watt Bass Amp which is MX5 friendly and has a nice tone, much better than the Ashtons I tried out :) and as its a wedge, I can use it as a monitor when we gig
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Heheh Richy11 I've had a Deizel Hebert to play with whenever I wanted, I've even recorded with one (my mate owned one, bought it last year, sold it and got a mesa mk4)

My amp at the moment is a line 6 HD147. In the past I've had a 5150 combo, V-Amp2, POD XT, 5150mkII head, Modified JCM800 (modded for more gain, boosted mids, beefier tone)

I love the hd147 :D

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

My one and only:
Marshall TSL 100 head
JCM800 300W 1960A

can be a bit annoying to carry around so just use my fx pedal into a stereo or PA a lot of the time.

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Well, you know what they say about Diezel amps!!

"Diezel is emergency just on amp - it's THE amp!"
- Many bricklayer

<Leaves everyone scratching their heads>

It's from their website (translated from German by Google).

"In accordance with its exterior one will assign the Diezel Head rather to the guitarist of the section Heavy" I couldn't have said it better myself!
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

got to love googles translations :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

porkpie
Stagg
Stagg

AC-30

Post by porkpie »

I have my old Vox AC-30, its an original early 1960's amp with the blue frame Celestion speakers that for some reason in the past was dropped into an early 1970s AC-30 cabinet. Who cares?! not me, it sounds like god when you turn up the wick and add a touch of reverb from the Holy Grail.
I dont need anything else, although the new hand wired 18 watt Marshall 1974X combo looks damn tempting........
1963 Fender Duo-sonic
1989 Gretsch Jet Firebird
197? Rickenbacker 4001
2000 Simon & Patrick Parlour
2004 Gibson J45
2007 Fender Champion 600
2008 Fender '65 Princeton Reverb
2008 Cuba St Amp Co Radiotone

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

could be more satisfying building your own though :) Now that is tempting....