What amp to buy?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

philipnz
PRS
PRS
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Consider this one. NZ's Mesa Boogie clone
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 597888.htm
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Hey can I suggest something - before you spend a sou go around all the music shops in a major centre with your guitar and try out what's available - new and used - then decide and go for the 2nd hand version on trademe.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

was tempted by that rockit earlier, are they pretty good then?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

went to weta yesterday, they have a marshall 2x10 for $250..

and this new amp, a THD for $3600 :shock: all valve with a "hot plate"

and i have been seeing a lot of those nobels pedals, apparently quite good..

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

bluesgeek wrote:yeah I second the vote for valvestates - those Marshalls are pretty good for a budget.

If you don't get a footswitch, you can always knock one up reasonably cheaply.

Trust your ears. My Amp looks like a piece of 80's samick, but it sounds good to me :) Especially with the strat.
I tried out the valvestate that angry young poet recommended a while back (someone I know bought it). Its really cool - 30 watts but sounds fantastic for its size. I guess I just really like the marshall sound. He got it from weta with a footswitch for a steal - not sure what comparable second hand places are where Stevo is though.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

theres a marshall valvstate 8080 in cashconverters newmarket for $399. Its a bit of a dog and needs pots replacing, hasn't been looked after (its got overspray on it!), but its a beater and sounds ok. Just had a play with it. Also there is a MIJ Aria Pro double cutaway for the princely sum of $250 - and its a player.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I wouldn't go a Rockit - had one for years. Built like a tank, and sounded like one. Some of the initial Mesa copies they did were actually good, but they're so old now you may have reliability issues (the cane front ones). Aria Pro II - my very first electric...ahh, I loved that thing...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I had a very nice Aria Pro II bass years ago. If I had the cash I would have picked it up, make someone a nice backup guitar for little $$$. They also have a Jap Squire in for about the $500 mark, seemed ok but I didn't try it (only 5 strings....)

Though I did walk out with the Hohner headless bass so I can't complain ;)

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

I'd stay away from the Rockits also,some had EV speakers in em tho and those ones sounded okay(built from 83-87 or so) but generally not that great.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

TMG 03 wrote:If you had 5k you would be like Philipnz, way too much cool gear at home to want go to work :wink:

And don't forget you got to lift the bloody things, that is until you get a bass player to help you :wink:
Like philipnz? doubt it mate, can't afford the insurance on a feckin Ferrari, or a berth for the flash yacht.... but I'll take the Explorer!

Lift amps? yeah got that one covered, back up my mates drive, leave the amp in the back of the van and open the back door!

And playing where? most likely jamming in my mates largish garage, small gigs maybe, but the killer will be when our music teacher at school talks me into playing in the school Hall for 500 kids! But then I can mike it there!
Last edited by Stevo on Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can forgive the child who is afraid of the dark, we cannot forgive the adult who is afraid of the light!

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

philipnz wrote:Consider this one. NZ's Mesa Boogie clone
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 597888.htm
Do you know this particular amp Philipnz? and thanks, got this one on my watchlist, and a 130 Watt Rockit as well ta.
We can forgive the child who is afraid of the dark, we cannot forgive the adult who is afraid of the light!

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

No, I dont know them. I just remember seeing a lot of them used.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

philipnz wrote:No, I dont know them. I just remember seeing a lot of them used.
Right thanks. I will stop watching them then!! Good to be able to delete a few options! Cheers

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

ash wrote:I have a Yamaha VX55 head to sell. It has sweet clean sound, but the distortion needs beefing up with a good pedal. Par for the course really with solid state. That and a nice 2x12 would be fine and dandy. PM me if you're intrerested.
Hey Ash, I have tried PM you twice now? are you getting them? I would definately be interested in looking at it.
email stevo@guitarist.co.nz pls. cheers.

OK guys, You have helped me eliminate some brands, along with discussion outside the forum. COOL!
It's coming down to a Marshall, Peavey, Behringer, Line 6 (not necessarily in order of preference).OR maybe Ash's Yamaha.
However it occurs to me that a flash amp with effects built in would preclude me practicing with effects! Especially in my present flat with a baby through the wall!!
I would still be using my Yamaha 10 Watt! Some suggestions for good pedals (multi effect ie. ZOOM 505, Digitech 100-200 etc)? At least I can practice with it then!!
FECK! the GAS has set in!!!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Deep breath mate...what would impressive is if you made your own amp...from matches...nah, but seriously that's one thing it seesm none of us have discussed. I looked at doing a 20 watt valve jobby but lost interest during the planning phase...remember to play ALL of these amps before you make your decision!!!!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves