What amp to buy?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Stevo »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Deep breath mate...what would impressive is if you made your own amp...from matches...nah, but seriously that's one thing it seesm none of us have discussed. I looked at doing a 20 watt valve jobby but lost interest during the planning phase...remember to play ALL of these amps before you make your decision!!!!
Unique, I can handle full custom rebuilds on a gat, build cars. But aint no way I'm gonna build an amp that doesn't come in a kit from Dick Smiths or Jaycar!! And a valve job? Man those things can kill you if you screw up! Maybe that's why we don't!!!

I will have a look at the head Ash has. And I will take my custom Strat over. And continue looking.
I am still thinking good pedal!!! and solid amp! I just can't bear the thought of sitting here looking at a dynamite amp with digital this and digital that, while I practice on my 10 Watt with No effects!
Damn practicalities!!!

Next time I get GAS, let me be pissed!!
We can forgive the child who is afraid of the dark, we cannot forgive the adult who is afraid of the light!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I've had many a 'belt' in my time, but the worst I've ever had was when I fitted a headphone socket to an old WEM valve amp I had. Touched the strings and shot across the floor about 6 feet - oops....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

what effects do you want though??? You only really need overdrive and reverb, chorus and echo at a pinch. Any decent amp will have reverb built in and clean/dirty channels - then get a tubescreamer/guvnor/bluesbreaker or something. I've had a couple of multifx pedals, but they never suited me - jack of all trades etc... unless you spend BIG dollars, you won't get anything decent. Better off shelling out more on a good amp, then buying pedals as you need them.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

bluesgeek wrote:what effects do you want though??? You only really need overdrive and reverb, chorus and echo at a pinch. Any decent amp will have reverb built in and clean/dirty channels - then get a tubescreamer/guvnor/bluesbreaker or something. I've had a couple of multifx pedals, but they never suited me - jack of all trades etc... unless you spend BIG dollars, you won't get anything decent. Better off shelling out more on a good amp, then buying pedals as you need them.
Thanks BG. But I do have the problem of practicing at home to think of too. And like all good people I'll buy a wizard amp and play it quietly!! right!
And I see F1 is now a race for third! And the "world champs" forgot rugby is a sport! but at least they got something to whinge about!
We can forgive the child who is afraid of the dark, we cannot forgive the adult who is afraid of the light!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

> And a valve job? Man those things can kill you if you screw up! Maybe that's why we don't!!!

In the late '60s I built my own B&W Valve television, using a Practical Electronics (I think) circuit from scratch. I could draw an arc of about an inch off the HT coil to my finger!!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

don't start me on the rugby mate.... you win two games and you think you can play again ;) England were consistently a very good team up until they got the cup in their hands - now they're back to their usual form.

at least england are winning 3-1 in the 'real' game :p

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

bluesgeek wrote:don't start me on the rugby mate.... you win two games and you think you can play again ;) England were consistently a very good team up until they got the cup in their hands - now they're back to their usual form.

at least england are winning 3-1 in the 'real' game :p
Sorry BG! Win lose or draw, the AB's are playing the game again. England won the cup through being thugs, Now they can't handle it in their faces from a team playing better rugby! They have gone back to the thuggery! Well, at least Shaw and Grewcott! (to name a few). AB's scored 10 tries, England 0. Who's there to play rugby? I'm glad we agree on that one BG.
"real game"? That's world cup isn't over yet! watch this space. At least you can rely on Ferrari BG

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

DrRog wrote:> And a valve job? Man those things can kill you if you screw up! Maybe that's why we don't!!!

In the late '60s I built my own B&W Valve television, using a Practical Electronics (I think) circuit from scratch. I could draw an arc of about an inch off the HT coil to my finger!!
OUCH!! OK, it only kills off a few brain cells! Was that around the time you became a 1st aider? I bet you were pleased when solid state TV came along!

Now when did you start playing Bass Doc?

Rog

Post by Rog »

I started playing bass in 'cough' 'cough' sixty one..

> bet you were pleased when solid state TV came along
Well I made a solid state crystal radio set when I was about 8-9 and that was in about 1894, according to BG!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

thought you used a cats whisker?

Rugby's not my game anyway - neither is Soccer really, but I do watch the Euro and World cups. Missed the game this morning but final score was 4-2 so we're through to the quarters.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Rog... does that cough mean 1861?

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL - according to the unofficial BG timeline, yes!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Stevo
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Stevo »

GEEZ! you guys coulda warned me about going into Cash Converters looking for amps!!
Found a Fender 112. Tried to resist playing it......and.......that's right!! I found a GAT I really like...I mean REALLY like...... I mean WANT!!!!!!
GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aw FECK!!
And it sounded good through that amp. The good news is....the amp had a CC price!! The gat does too almost! but I could!! I have one to sell and I have a buyer lined up!! I might have to do a deal!!

Anyway, the Fender sounded very nice. .. but I have a head to try on Saturday. For the money I could have a NEW Behringer GX112 60 Watt with digital effects!!! Well, actually for LESS money I could have the Behringer. Although..YADAA YADDA "make an offer and I will talk to the boss" Aren't CC shop assistants alike?
I am swinging towards new Behringer at the moment.
However ebay reared it's head too, and I am looking at a multi FX pedal as well. See my Telecaster still hasn't left the US yet, and there should be a little more room in the box!! OH happy joy joy!

But the money (insurance payout) is still coming too, so no commitment to buy yet.
And there are still some good options on TM!!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

offer them cash - they talk to the boss who knocks off $50 straight away, then grumble about other faults etc...

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

in the offchance that youve saved a couple of thousand more since the first post, you should buy my Tremoverb

shameless, i know. but someones gotta do it.