Parallel vs Series

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by B45-12 »

Of course if you have enough speakers of the right impendence you can wire two series chains in paralell or two paralell chains in series thus getting the best (or worst) of both worlds.

As for the batteries 'only the unworthy use everready' right?? - LOL

People actually believe 'top gear' - after all it's only a UK TV program, which was also the home of the original payola scandals, and probably about as honest as a salesman at the Rockshop (Yeah sure it's a '57 strat - that's why it's got 'made in japan' on the back).
You can't do THAT on stage!

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

So Homer Simpson might assume.........'Hmmm parallel means better than series cos there's no problems with parallel if one blows right'.

Please no one speak about single speaker I don't think I could stand it :oops:
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

> Please no one speak about single speaker I don't think I could stand it

LOL, funnily enough....I wired my single 15" speaker in parallel, or was it series? Damn, now I have to open my cab to find out...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Why spoil the mystery Rog????

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL - indeed!

Rog

Post by Rog »

> and probably about as honest as a salesman at the Rockshop

I've dealt with the NZRS for many years and I've never been ripped off - to my knowledge. However I have found many salesmen there who had VERY limited knowledge of their products.

I guess you pay peanuts...

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

DrRog wrote:> and probably about as honest as a salesman at the Rockshop

I've dealt with the NZRS for many years and I've never been ripped off - to my knowledge. However I have found many salesmen there who had VERY limited knowledge of their products.

I guess you pay peanuts...
Apparently they have a really high staff turnover.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

What I find upsetting about them (although BG is the one who provides reasonable evidence vis a vis his LP that they tell whoppers) is the willingness to keep silent, let the buyer assume things and fall into every trap going - seemingly regarding it as a 'smart' or 'clever' thing to do.

For example a wee while back I noticed some nice looking Fenders on the walls of Wellington Rock Shop but the strange thing was, although they said something like 'American Fender' on the name tags they had no F stamped on the neck plate. When I asked when Fender had stopped imprinting the F, I was told they had not. So I pointed to those on the wall and was only then told they were NOS american parts that had been shipped elsewhere to be assembled and then sold off in NZ/overseas. Think the assembly place was China from memory.

The guy that was telling me was laughing and seemed to think it was funny. I don't - I think it disgusting that some kid will go in there and blow a large amount of money on what appears to be an American instrument only to find out later it is half true thanks to the silence.

So that means Rockshop is, generally speaking, no longer a place I'll buy anything from as with such an attitude how can you trust what you're buying is genuine - from strings through to LP's???

Rog

Post by Rog »

There's not much choice in some places, mate. Here in Palmy, if you don't use the RS, there's only two other places, neither of which are any chop at all.

Despite the statements on the RS site, I prefer to import my own gear and take my chances.

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

A lot of the time, they probably don't do it on purpose. Most products probably don't interest them at all, and it is very difficult to gain product knowledge on everything in the shop.

I was once told by a Rockshop employee that the Highway 1 Stratocaster was the replacement model for the American Series Strat. :roll: You learn not to rely on salespeople for information - with reviews and information so readily available on the internet, fortunately we don't have to.

The Palmy Rockshop has a very poor range. They'd be quick to recommend against buying an instrument sight unseen by importing, yet they themselves don't even have in stock a common and popular guitar such as the American or American Deluxe Stratocaster (or Telecaster). So how do they expect me to order one through them, when I could get it far quicker and cheaper by importing?

On their website, they spout about Import Duties, Customs Taxes, Shipping Insurance, Electrical Compliance, and all sorts of crap that doesn't apply to any of the gear I've imported. Shipping isn't expensive on guitars, or even amplifiers, even with the insurance costs included.

I'd love to get hold of a Fender 50th Anniversary Strat, but I've long since given up hope of finding such an instrument in shops here.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

I'm not shoping at the Cock shop anymore because there service sucks and I can get major discounts elsewhere.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Most of the store salespeople don't know a lot about the products they're selling(?),they're simply not up to speed on the various brands,that's why I could never rely on getting something from overseas thru a store.
However if a product is in stock and I want it I will buy or trade in on it,but I can't remember the last time I did that,I do all my own importing if I need to with my own knowledge and take my chances.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

That's the way I look at it also. nZ shops in terms o info are poor generally, or try too hard to sell you things.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

I suppose from the other side you get all these peculiar people coming in, asking no end of questions, trying out the stock and not buying but that's a part of retailing high end stuff and no excuse for ignorance, deliberate or otherwise.

I think you can also lay the blame on the lack of career opportunities - years ago you worked your way up in a shop till you knew the product/market then about 25-30 you scraped the cash together and opened your own/bought your boss out. Nowdays it seems they are all low-paid, no future outlet positions working for people whose only concern is how many units they can move and the highest proifit available on that unit. If widgets show a better return the music shop will be closed, new low cost sellers recruited and widgets moved out the door.

Whatever the reason, it is a real pity as you have better stuff than ever in ther shops and with the right advice you could have a really good relationship with the place - sad eh!

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Yes it is sad,NZ's just too small a place and too young a country for refinement and knowledge,and the way our economy is going we will most probably be merging our NZ$ with the AU$ pretty soon to stay afloat........in 10 years maybe.
And all this from a music business thread....good lord :P