NAD: 65 Jansen 6/sixteen

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 871 times
Been liked: 1405 times

Re: NAD: 65 Jansen 6/sixteen

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Trouble shooting the non functioning trem now

Plate voltage to v3 pin 6 on and off with push pull/foot switch for trem and I can hear a faint ticking that comes and goes as youd expect with those manouvres. The ticking responds to speed and depth controls but no audile tremolo in guitar signal. Could be a cap?

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Im thinking ill change out the old cap can ( if I can find one) the grey 50 and 25v electrolytics and the large 450v 16mf electrolytic.
The trem phase shift oscilator caps tho are probably whats gone wrong im picking? Jean is going to reverse engineer the schematic which will help a lot.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 582 times

Post by TmcB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:55 pm Trouble shooting the non functioning trem now

Plate voltage to v3 pin 6 on and off with push pull/foot switch for trem and I can hear a faint ticking that comes and goes as youd expect with those manouvres. The ticking responds to speed and depth controls but no audile tremolo in guitar signal. Could be a cap?
Just vibes here but lead dress may help or biffing a cap somewhere. I’d be looking up how to solve the tick in deluxe reverbs and see how you get on porting that over
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

TmcB wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:55 pm Trouble shooting the non functioning trem now

Just vibes here but lead dress may help or biffing a cap somewhere. I’d be looking up how to solve the tick in deluxe reverbs and see how you get on porting that over
Oh wait youve got the wrong end of the tick

Im welcoming the very very faint tick as it means the circuit is doing what it should. I wont be audible at playing you really have to strain to hear it.
Tick doesnt need solving. And its a loaded word with trem stuff. But its been valuable as a guide to see what switches are working/pots working etc

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1367 times
Been liked: 916 times

Post by MikeC »

Dirty Harry always got the shit end of the tick.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Cap can question:
calls for 40 40 20
Cant find one but can find 40 40 20 20
Guessing I can just leave on unused? Or is it better to get 40 20 20 20 and tie two together to make 40 ?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1669 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by Jay »

I doubt the 40/40/20 is faulty. You said the amp was quiet so that means power caps are fine. The caps for the trem should be fine too. As Tony says, I would resolder the components in the trem circuit first.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2525 times

Post by Slowy »

MikeC wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:04 pm Dirty Harry always got the shit end of the tick.
In a highly technical discussion among experts about the technical function of an electrical circuit, this has to be the most useful contribution I've ever seen. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7936 times
Been liked: 4270 times

Post by jeremyb »

When the trem in my old AC15 died it was a burnt out resistor to blame, worth checking them with a meter?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:22 pm When the trem in my old AC15 died it was a burnt out resistor to blame, worth checking them with a meter?
Oh I’ll be checking them !!!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Those stripey little bastards