bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Setting up a home recording studio

Post by bender »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
benderissimo wrote:At a guess I'd say you're probably recording a mic through a line input (or the input is set to line rather than mic). Are you by any chance using an XLR to TRS Jack cable to connect your microphone to the interface? Is your interface a Focusrite 8i6?
The 8i6 has the multi input jack (jack in the middle of the XLR) so theortically he should be getting some signal love albeit a bit quiet.
The jack portion of the input is the line/instrument input, the XLR portion is the mic input.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

benderissimo wrote:The jack portion of the input is the line/instrument input, the XLR portion is the mic input.
Oh.

I did not know that.

Erm. I should probably know that. Oh for more time to play with gear.

Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

Since he's using XLR-XLR its not a mic/line issue.

What microphone are you using?

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Eruera wrote:Since he's using XLR-XLR its not a mic/line issue.

What microphone are you using?
Audix i5.

It will be a routing issue in the software. Theoritically, everything looked fine in the screenshots but perhaps you need to enable the tracks. I would download Reaper instead of Ableton. www.reaper.fm
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Probably silly but could the large knob in the bottom right of the software router be causing low vol? It's set to -28dB. If that's a master output volume then it could explain it as his waveform in ableton didn't look exceptionally small to me.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Emir wrote:
benderissimo wrote:At a guess I'd say you're probably recording a mic through a line input (or the input is set to line rather than mic). Are you by any chance using an XLR to TRS Jack cable to connect your microphone to the interface? Is your interface a Focusrite 8i6?
How do you change the input to mic instead of line (If that is the case)?

I'm using XLR > XLR to connect the microphone to the interface. Yes, it's a Focusrite 8i6.
It's automatic in this case. If you use an XLR to XLR cable, you're connected to the mic input.

Troubleshooting steps to try:

1) Wind the mic gain right up, play into the mic and see if the sig and clip LEDs light up. If they both do, back the gain off until the clip LED doesn't. If the clip LED doesn't light up with the gain cranked to maximum your cable or mic may be bung (or you might just be trying to record something quiet). If the sig LED doesn't light up (they usually light up at -20dB on other devices I've used) then you're problem is definitely before the interface.

2) Check your input selection in Ableton. I'm not all that familiar with it but in the last image you posted there look like three likely drop down menus to inspect. If you're plugged into input 1, make sure that input 1 (might even be called something like "mic/line 1") is selected.

That'll do for starters. Not quite sure what to suggest otherwise. I'll see if one of the systems at work has Ableton on it tomorrow so I can be a bit more helpful.

Emir
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Emir »

Hey guys,

I got everything working now thankfully [Thanks for your replies]. I switched if over to high gain and moved the microphone alot closer when I was playing and it seemed to do the trick.

Records at a very nice quality, will be better when I learn more about using it in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvKzq4RW7Nk

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Wow ... was that the i5 and the Scarlett? That sounded better than my setup.

Mmmmmm ...

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Proximity... of course.

I think the high gain switches only affect inputs 3 and 4 (at least it appears that way from the control panel). You have to get pretty close with any dynamic mic to get a good sound so that was probably the main thing.

If you can manage it, do yourself a favour and pick up a 12-guage Red12 mic if/when Slash-Ed puts an order in. They're $35US plus shipping and are truly excellent for recording acoustic instruments- particularly if you have a nice space (like a lounge with a wooden floor).

Emir
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Emir »

NZRS-Dave wrote:Wow ... was that the i5 and the Scarlett? That sounded better than my setup.

Mmmmmm ...
Yep, it sure was :D
benderissimo wrote:Proximity... of course.

I think the high gain switches only affect inputs 3 and 4 (at least it appears that way from the control panel). You have to get pretty close with any dynamic mic to get a good sound so that was probably the main thing.

If you can manage it, do yourself a favour and pick up a 12-guage Red12 mic if/when Slash-Ed puts an order in. They're $35US plus shipping and are truly excellent for recording acoustic instruments- particularly if you have a nice space (like a lounge with a wooden floor).
Yeah, I didn't realise how close the microphone had to be lol. But I'm finding myself beginning to understand things better, you've gotta start somewhere :D

Thanks, will keep it in mind.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

benderissimo wrote:Proximity... of course.
You have to get pretty close with any dynamic mic to get a good sound so that was probably the main thing.
And there is always a sweet spot ... I was doing a recording with creepy old guy ... and when he was positioning the acoustic mic he had a set of headphones on. he kept saying things like 'come on sweetie, show me that honey pot, where is it, come to daddy. come on honey pot open up wide for me'

Which is really disturbing to a spotty 14yr old. He told the female teacher that all guitars have sweet spot to tone and he calls it the honey pot. But I think he was grubby on purpose.

)No JB, I did not make it my life's work to continue where he left off :) )

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

NZRS-Dave wrote: ... and when he was positioning the acoustic mic he had a set of headphones on. he kept saying things like 'come on sweetie, show me that honey pot, where is it, come to daddy. come on honey pot open up wide for me'
I take it "Acoustic Mic" is a euphemism? :P

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Scooter13 wrote:
NZRS-Dave wrote: ... and when he was positioning the acoustic mic he had a set of headphones on. he kept saying things like 'come on sweetie, show me that honey pot, where is it, come to daddy. come on honey pot open up wide for me'
I take it "Acoustic Mic" is a euphemism? :P
Well everyone know's sticking the 'Acoustic Mic' right up in the "Soundhole" gives a very 'Boxy" tone :lol: *flagged as inappropriate*

Emir
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Emir »

I need some help again lol.

I finally got a pair of recording headphones, which I'm using plugged into the Scarlett interface. How do I get them activated in Ableton? I'm getting no sound from them >.<

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Have you selected the correct audio out in the options?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz