Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY MattAnt
olegmcnoleg wrote:This looks nice. It's the newer model, with the modified bracing, and a fair price given it is almost new. It will be quite bright, but just about the perfect guitar for a band situation.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/acoustic-guitars/listing-2015686455.htm?rsqid=ee13786fab8a47948cafce8fc552d9f8

Mmmm not a bad price at all. Went and played all the Taylors at Rock Shop the other day and as much as I love bright, wondered if the 614 was too bright.

My favourite was actually a 410ce, but they were all really nice.

Don’t think I’d order an acoustic from overseas sight unseen, probably looking for local so I can have a play and a listen.

I’ve learned in the last week how little I know about acoustics, best to actually give them a play.
BY MattAnt
olegmcnoleg wrote:Can you say a bit more about what you are looking for...
Finger style or strum, band or solo, vintage or modern tone, budget?

That would help wouldn’t it.

Would be a mainly strumming guitar, little bit of finger picking. Nice open chord voicings. More modern than vintage, leaning towarda the brighter janglier tone for sure. Primarily for playing at home, when I get back into live performance any amplification would be with a band, but let’s be honest, at that point I’m likely back to electric.

Playability very important, want nice low action and playable neck.

Hope that helps!
BY olegmcnoleg
MattAnt wrote:

Would be a mainly strumming guitar, little bit of finger picking. Nice open chord voicings. More modern than vintage, leaning towarda the brighter janglier tone for sure. Primarily for playing at home, when I get back into live performance any amplification would be with a band, but let’s be honest, at that point I’m likely back to electric.

That sounds a lot like a Taylor or a Larrivee to me. A 714 wold be my choice, the 614 has maple back and sides, which is too much on a Taylor. The 714 has rosewood, and an optional cedar top. Perfect. If you buy a used one, it will have mellowed out a bit, they are often rather stiff and bright when new. Same with the Larrivees.
BY NippleWrestler
When I was looking in shops for a guitar (I ended up with a used Larrivee) the one that blew me away was a guild, Chinese made. It was richer and livelier than $3k Taylors, martins, a Santa Cruz, matons, Cole clarks, everything they had higher end at the queen street rockshop. It was $600 and a hell of a nice guitar.

I would have bought it but my dream acoustic came up for sale. Moral of the story is don't judge a guitar by the price alone, I was very pleasantly surprised.
BY Slowy
olegmcnoleg wrote:
MattAnt wrote:

That sounds a lot like a Taylor or a Larrivee to me. A 714 wold be my choice, the 614 has maple back and sides, which is too much on a Taylor. The 714 has rosewood, and an optional cedar top. Perfect. If you buy a used one, it will have mellowed out a bit, they are often rather stiff and bright when new. Same with the Larrivees.

Concur.
My 7 series Taylor with Cedar top and Rosewood back is the perfect strummer; and a good picker as well.

Yes, yes Oleg; you told me so.. :lol:
The other thing that impresses me about the Taylor, it's quite happy to be plugged straight into my pedalboard and amp. No fuss, no changes. I've never met an acoustic that versatile before.
Yesterday, in one of my musical projects, we switched 4 songs to amplified acoustic because they sounded way better.