Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

User avatar
BY Zaulkin
#781683
I used to strictly be a tube amp and pedalboard guy, and I have had some good stuff. I have always found the digital gear to be way more convenient and way quieter. Even simple pedalboard and amps can be noisy in one way or another.

Every few years I've had an itch where I thought the 'real thing' would be better, and ended up buying a tube amp. Maybe I set it up wrong? Maybe new pedals are better? Maybe I had the wrong cab... Every time I go back to a modeller. Most recently I just couldn't tell the difference between a mark V - clean or dirty - and the AxeFX ii.

I should point out that I'm only selling the Axe because I bought an AX-8.
User avatar
BY StratMatt
#781689
Got rid of my Mark V after getting the AX8, don’t miss it whatsoever. There’s obviously a slightly different feel playing through FRFR than through a cab, but if you’re going for recording purposes you’re probably used to that sort of feel anyway.

I don’t mean feel from a playing point of view, more a feel of how you perceive the sound I guess. My bandmate has a Mark V which sounds good too, but I still prefer my digital setup.
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#781704
I've gone back and forth between both a number of times and basically the money shot is to sell them all and buy a $450 Katana 50W, run it cranked in 0.5W mode and enjoy the bliss of amazing tone at bedroom volume.
User avatar
BY StratMatt
#781710
Not really a fair comment here though as you haven’t sold your KPA/Axe Fx to buy a Katana.
User avatar
BY Bg
#781711
StratMatt wrote:Not really a fair comment here though as you haven’t sold your KPA/Axe Fx to buy a Katana.


HD500X /thread ;)
User avatar
BY StratMatt
#781712
Bg wrote:
StratMatt wrote:Not really a fair comment here though as you haven’t sold your KPA/Axe Fx to buy a Katana.


HD500X /thread ;)


Just saying!
User avatar
BY jeremyb
#781728
StratMatt wrote:Not really a fair comment here though as you haven’t sold your KPA/Axe Fx to buy a Katana.


Yeah but I would do! :mrgreen:
BY null_pointer
#781741
Absolutely the opposite experience for me. Could be I don’t dive deeply enough of course...
Have had Helix, Axe II, Kemper and went back to amp/pedals every time. And when I had the modellers I had both L3T and Atomic CLR to run em through so there was no weak link in the modeller chain, just didn’t enjoy the sound. Perhaps it is because I expected an amp response outside of the very narrow range that the modelling algorithm had sampled. Always felt a bit flat to me...really hard to articulate but I guess sound aside I just never enjoyed the actual playing experience as much.
User avatar
BY Zaulkin
#781742
null_pointer wrote:Absolutely the opposite experience for me. Could be I don’t dive deeply enough of course...
Have had Helix, Axe II, Kemper and went back to amp/pedals every time. And when I had the modellers I had both L3T and Atomic CLR to run em through so there was no weak link in the modeller chain, just didn’t enjoy the sound. Perhaps it is because I expected an amp response outside of the very narrow range that the modelling algorithm had sampled. Always felt a bit flat to me...really hard to articulate but I guess sound aside I just never enjoyed the actual playing experience as much.


There is definitely a difference when playing through an FRFR system, and I would describe it similarly to how you have.

I run mine through a poweramp and guitar cab with the cab sims off and it sounds great. Obviously that limits you to a certain speaker type but I still prefer that overall.