Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY olegmcnoleg
I'm looking for an inexpensive 2 humbucker guitar to try out some new pickup and wiring options with. So, the guitar need not have pickups fitted. Apart from that, I'm open to whatever folks might want to suggest. Does not have to be a Les Paul type, a Strat would work just as well, or a Tele.
Cheap is good, as I'm going to be messing with it.

I've noticed a couple of Hamer XT Monaco reboxed guitars on TM for $335 shipped. They seem to have a few finish blemishes, but that would not bother me in the slightest. Are these any good? Better than a Chinese Epiphone LP standard? Better than a Korean Epiphone?

Any help or advice appreciated.
BY Molly
olegmcnoleg wrote:I'm looking for an inexpensive 2 humbucker guitar to try out some new pickup and wiring options with. So, the guitar need not have pickups fitted. Apart from that, I'm open to whatever folks might want to suggest. Does not have to be a Les Paul type, a Strat would work just as well, or a Tele.
Cheap is good, as I'm going to be messing with it.

I've noticed a couple of Hamer XT Monaco reboxed guitars on TM for $335 shipped. They seem to have a few finish blemishes, but that would not bother me in the slightest. Are these any good? Better than a Chinese Epiphone LP standard? Better than a Korean Epiphone?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Nothing wrong with the Hamer XT but I wouldn't invest in upgrades on one.
BY Single coil
Should be fine.
Can’t imagine you’d want to mess with my aria?
BY Mattallica
If you're messing with wiring options you could narrow down the switch and pot options needed on said cheap guitar?

eg. 5 way blade switch + two knobs, 3 way toggle switch + four knobs etc..
BY olegmcnoleg
Mattallica wrote:If you're messing with wiring options you could narrow down the switch and pot options needed on said cheap guitar?

Fair enough. I need 3-4 pots, I'm going to be adding switches, so either a 3 way or 5 way switch could work. Trying to channel my inner Jerry Garcia. No Floyds, and as usual for me, nothing pointy.
BY Molly
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Mattallica wrote:If you're messing with wiring options you could narrow down the switch and pot options needed on said cheap guitar?

Fair enough. I need 3-4 pots, I'm going to be adding switches, so either a 3 way or 5 way switch could work. Trying to channel my inner Jerry Garcia. No Floyds, and as usual for me, nothing pointy.

Have you seen that multiple position LP style selector switch? That allows for all sorts of options without carving-up the guitar. Can't be arsed to look for a pic... Oh, OK. I will...

Edit: Might've been this one:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Elec ... witch.html

BY Mattallica
You could chuck a bid on this Conway style LP:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/electric-guitars/auction-1568012751.htm?rsqid=95b9af5db3454307821cea3fdc70a853

For the $200-300 range you'll get something that's playable with fair QC. I'd stay away from the set neck stuff in this price range and aim for a bolt-on. Other than that it's much of a muchness, unless something decent comes up second hand.
BY olegmcnoleg
Terexgeek wrote:Fancy a 1980 Aria Pro II TS400 with two humbuckers, 3 aside headstock and all the switching? One 3 way toggle switch and 3 2 way toggle switches.

Something like that might work, yeah. Can you flick me a pic or two and the price? Cheers :thumbup:
BY olegmcnoleg
Mattallica wrote:You could chuck a bid on this Conway style LP:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/instruments/guitar-bass/electric-guitars/auction-1568012751.htm?rsqid=95b9af5db3454307821cea3fdc70a853

For the $200-300 range you'll get something that's playable with fair QC. I'd stay away from the set neck stuff in this price range and aim for a bolt-on. Other than that it's much of a muchness, unless something decent comes up second hand.

But that one is a set neck???
Phew...that's quite a finish.
BY Terexgeek
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:Fancy a 1980 Aria Pro II TS400 with two humbuckers, 3 aside headstock and all the switching? One 3 way toggle switch and 3 2 way toggle switches.

Something like that might work, yeah. Can you flick me a pic or two and the price? Cheers :thumbup:

This is identical to mine, but if the CS250 doesn't appeal, this probably won't:
https://goo.gl/images/Eb76Wk
BY olegmcnoleg
Terexgeek wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:

This is identical to mine, but if the CS250 doesn't appeal, this probably won't:
https://goo.gl/images/Eb76Wk

Sadly, you are right. I really like some of those old 70s and 80s Aria and Ibanez guitars though, with the through necks and the blonde sandwich finishes.