Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY LucyTheSpud
So i finally bit the bullet, and decided to get a basic studio in my house.

Have bought a computer, eyeing up a few interfaces now i just need mics.

End goal is to multi track a few live instruments, (drums and amps mostly).

So, i WTB
2x large diaphragm condensers. Multi pattern would be nice but i know im probably dreaming a little too big. Nothing too flash (AT2020s or equivalent) as i know the space i have doesnt have the best sound in world, so good mics would be overkill.

SM57s. Atleast 3 (or equivalent for snares and loud amps, must be dynamic with high SPL capabilities).

Pencil small diaphragm condenser.

Im not too snobby, and a little short on cash after buying computer and interface. So cheap is king.

Anyone got anything lying around?
BY Jellybelly
LucyTheSpud wrote:So i finally bit the bullet, and decided to get a basic studio in my house.

Have bought a computer, eyeing up a few interfaces now i just need mics.

End goal is to multi track a few live instruments, (drums and amps mostly).

So, i WTB
2x large diaphragm condensers. Multi pattern would be nice but i know im probably dreaming a little too big. Nothing too flash (AT2020s or equivalent) as i know the space i have doesnt have the best sound in world, so good mics would be overkill.

SM57s. Atleast 3 (or equivalent for snares and loud amps, must be dynamic with high SPL capabilities).

Pencil small diaphragm condenser.

Im not too snobby, and a little short on cash after buying computer and interface. So cheap is king.

Anyone got anything lying around?

I have an Rode K2 sitting here in its case pretty much not being used. Do not know if that fills the need a bit?
Brought it for my daughter but she never used it. To scared she would bust it :lol:
BY LucyTheSpud
Jellybelly wrote:Cool as. Not really my thing and it may be a tad pricy. But the offer is there $650. :D

$650 is what i was hoping to spend on most of it :D its not gonna be anything flash at all. The space is not designed acoustically well at all.

I dont really understand the point of nice mics in un prepared studios. Last time i used anything nicer than a $200 condenser all i could hear was the birds outside and cars on the road. Way too sensitive in a poorly isolated space. Its why i use $50 dynamics on drums live in bars. Works beautifully because you dont need all the extra sparkle that you get in a studio.
BY HackSaw
I have an MXL 990 & 991 set that I bought for reasons unknown, I don't think I have ever used them. No idea what they are worth though?
BY LucyTheSpud
HackSaw wrote:I have an MXL 990 & 991 set that I bought for reasons unknown, I don't think I have ever used them. No idea what they are worth though?

Looks to be around $200 new? Any idea where you got them from? If i was going to, id need to get a second set to have a matched pair and i cant see a reliable NZ dealer.
BY bbrunskill
If you're not fussed and happy to use $50 mics, you don't need a matched set anyway ;-) The MXL 990 and 991 are decent, my brother has that set. Jansen used to have an AT2020 and AT2021 kit for cheap, that would be as low as I would ever dream of going. Dynamic mic wise I think it's well worth trolling around for used Shure SM57's or 58's (basically the same sound) and they hold their used value for ever and are hard to kill. I have 3 SM58 and 2x sm57, have never regretted buying them.
BY HackSaw
LucyTheSpud wrote:
HackSaw wrote:I have an MXL 990 & 991 set that I bought for reasons unknown, I don't think I have ever used them. No idea what they are worth though?

Looks to be around $200 new? Any idea where you got them from? If i was going to, id need to get a second set to have a matched pair and i cant see a reliable NZ dealer.

I bought them when I was living in North America I think. I guess you could pick up another set from EBay? Pm an offer if you’re interested anyway, happy to throw in cables too.
BY willow13
heaps of Rode mics on TM at the moment
BY jeremyb
12 gauge!
BY LucyTheSpud
willow13 wrote:heaps of Rode mics on TM at the moment

Iv seen those. Just seeing what else is around in terms of pairs too :)

Also if anyone has an interface up for grabs let me know, looking for anything with 8xlr in. Have seen the Tascam stuff and know its quite good.