Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY cholera
I know there's been a couple of these floating around over the last few years. If anyone has a white one I'd love it. Open to regular standards too if any are around at the moment too!
BY AiRdAd
There is a cream one on trade me but he's put a trem on it,which might not be your thing.
BY Single coil
Higainer bought mine many years ago.
BY Olderama
AiRdAd wrote:There is a cream one on trade me but he's put a trem on it,which might not be your thing.

What's the funk with that guitar
I mean it's been on for a while is it the price?
Or purely the trem

Just curious as it might be the sg that breaks my duck
BY Dharmajester
Olderama wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:There is a cream one on trade me but he's put a trem on it,which might not be your thing.

What's the funk with that guitar
I mean it's been on for a while is it the price?
Or purely the trem

Just curious as it might be the sg that breaks my duck

It has a Kahler on it which is a love em or hate em gadget, would also have incurred some minor surgery to implement, so that's the Kahler haters and I'll return it to stock player out of the picture.
BY werdna
I have a white SG, refinished by Ash Customworks, 1985. Virtually unplayed. It's really pretty. Am in Auckland if you'd like to view.
BY cholera
I'm in Wellington unfortunately Werdna. Are you able to email pics or something?I'll PM you anyway.
BY Aquila Rossa
SGs are not so consistent in my experience. More so that other Gibsons I have had or played.

70s Walnut SG Deluxe I played a lot when i was late teens was fantastic. It played amazing. My last SG Standard was a special run for Guitar Center and it was also amazing to play and sounded really good.

However, I have tried a few Specials and Standards over the years that been the opposite experience. Really lacked the nice neck and tone.

A good SG is not quite as fat and sustaining as a good LP, but has this more aggressive treble thing going on that can be fun. I sometimes describe the difference like a LP is the sweet good girl next door, while the SG is the hot raunchy bad girl stripper. LP seems to like hot pups better tho. That is like the good girl next door gets out for the first time in ages and does some shots and lines. Goes wild.

I got lucky once with buy before you try, but considering how varied they have been I would suggest SG is definitely a try before you buy. A good one is amazing, an average or worse one can be very meh
BY cholera
Thanks AR. I have owned 9 or 10. Only one I didn't like was a weird ash body one. I find I can gel with most SGs
BY The Scarecrow
I've had a '61 RI. Was my main instrument for most of the early-late 2000's. Great woody sound, amazing neck and light as a feather. Fragile as hell neck joint though - jointed by one-fret's worth of wood. Amazed I never snapped the neck as I played some pretty hectic gigs fraught with stage invading dancers, manic frontmen and flailing bassists in that time. I upgraded pickups from the '57 classics to a Jazz and SD Custom set sounded better for heavier tones, though the classics are generally pretty good for most applications.

Sold it a couple of years ago after retiring it from live use upon getting an SG GT which did all the same sounds with a similar neck profile but the thicker body and neck joint of the standard, better balance (SG's are notoriously neck-heavy) and coil-splitting options which effectively made it capable of doing both the work of my SG and Tele. Still have the GT as they're a rare oddity that Gibson only sold for one year (2007-8) and are quite unique.
BY cholera
Is the GT the one with the racing stripe on it? Wasn't aware of the neck joint issue tho so thanks for your input!
BY The Scarecrow
cholera wrote:Is the GT the one with the racing stripe on it? Wasn't aware of the neck joint issue tho so thanks for your input!

Yep, i have a dark red with black stripe, which probably looks the best of the lot. People gripe about the faux chrome (vac-metalised) tailpiece, but it balances it out.

No prob re: neck joint. I'm amazed I never snapped mine at some pretty violent gigs.