Wanted ads

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY Polar Bear
NippleWrestler wrote:
TmcB wrote:I might have mentioned, but I have an excellent Wah for about the amount of gold you're looking for.

If that's the custom one I'm not interested thanks. The resale value is non-existent on custom jobs.

The good news with custom ones is that you don't need to resell them as they already sound great.
BY NippleWrestler
So I spoke to a pedal building friend of mine about why my modded wah died. The pot was apparently shagged so I ordered a replacement from Chase Tone in USA. If this fails, I'll replace the switch, then if that fails I'll replace the entire thing!
BY Bg
nothing wrong with the old dunlop pots available at all good music stores ;)
BY Bg
NippleWrestler wrote:I'll take finer tolerances and nicer sweep for $23 shipped from USA than Dunlop crap for $70 domestic.

and thats why we can't have nice things.
BY NippleWrestler
you can have many nice things. Might be worth pointing out that Chase Tone is an in-house product designed, developed and sold from the USA, the only places selling them are ebay.com, small bear, or Chase's own site.
BY Bg
wow, so total cork sniffery achievement unlocked ;)
BY NippleWrestler
almost... I modded the sweep on mine anyway as I think the crybaby doesn't have enough middle ground ya know? Like it's bass-treble in about 2 degrees of sweep. This dude apparently has a really wide band in the middle and less extremes, which is what I was after. Some dude on the gear page recommended him so I checked it out. And for that price it's a worthwhile gamble I thought!
BY Aquila Rossa
wow, so total cork sniffery achievement unlocked

I went that whole NOS tube and mustard cap 'cork sniffery' route. All good and learned a lot. Thing to realize for me is that good sounds can sometimes be had from the cheapest components. Rock ain't hi-fi audiophile stuff, even though some of the flash parts can work great. Reliability is a different matter.
BY Aquila Rossa
p.s. example is that I ended up preferring the cheap ceramic disc cap in my SG over mustard, paper in oil Soviet, or orange drop.

Wah pot NW is talking about seems to be more bout function than tone quality? About the travel and sweep and customizing it beyond what typical linear or taper pots can do? That could be a good thing
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BY NippleWrestler
Aquila Rossa wrote:

I went that whole NOS tube and mustard cap 'cork sniffery' route. All good and learned a lot. Thing to realize for me is that good sounds can sometimes be had from the cheapest components. Rock ain't hi-fi audiophile stuff, even though some of the flash parts can work great. Reliability is a different matter.

Well said. 2 million cycles on these pots apparently. Should be cool.

The Laney was rebuilt with Jupiler and Sozo caps with F&Ts in the filter section. Sounds beast.
BY Aquila Rossa
NippleWrestler wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:

Well said. 2 million cycles on these pots apparently. Should be cool.

The Laney was rebuilt with Jupiler and Sozo caps with F&Ts in the filter section. Sounds beast.

I have heard the effect of cap and resistor changes myself. It can work out great. I think the trap is getting caught up in audiophile Hi-Fi levels of it where they pay big dollars for a damn cap etc almost like the more they spend, the better it will sound. They are after something else all together, rather and good distortion and nice full guitar sounds.
BY Aquila Rossa
p.s. I think guitar related cork sniffery is very much like those who think the most expensive single malts or wines actually taste best. I saw a bunch of expert wine tasters on YT get punked over it. They thought they were tasting fine vintages and made all the typical snobby comments about what they thought was the case. Turned out to be cask wine. I laughed a lot because it reminded me of the gearpage.

A movie about this old moonshiner I saw reminds me of how good guitar amp builders can combine cheap or expensive components to get the right result. He knew how to make a whiskey that would make people randy, want to dance, or want to fight. All by slight variations in the process. Science as an art I guess.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BY Aquila Rossa
i have watched Elams vids ^^ before. Knows his stuff and good at DIY. Built his own fibre board for the turret board even. I think he showed up here for a while. Not sure of his handle here tho.