ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules: ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
BY Kris
A mate was doing the rounds on monday and spied another mates 1st guitar that he'd sold in tough times a few years back.Worked together and scored it back for him.Feels good man.
BY Delayman
Kris wrote:A mate was doing the rounds on monday and spied another mates 1st guitar that he'd sold in tough times a few years back.Worked together and scored it back for him.Feels good man.

That’s a great story. Good on you.
BY AiRdAd
I pawned my 1959 Gibson Les Paul, if you see that one floating around, can you buy it back for me please! Haha
BY Reg18
AiRdAd wrote:I pawned my 1959 Gibson Les Paul, if you see that one floating around, can you buy it back for me please! Haha

Just imagine! Were there any 50s Gibson’s sold new in NZ?
Or will the only ones around have been imported from private customers?
BY Slowy
Reg18 wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I pawned my 1959 Gibson Les Paul, if you see that one floating around, can you buy it back for me please! Haha

If I have my history right, none were imported for sale; such things couldn't happen. You couldn't import something being made here (thanks Jansen). You even needed 'overseas funds' to buy a new car.

However, the Maori Showbands were doing very well on the world stage back then and they were responsible for many of the 50s and 60s Gibson and Fenders that arrived in the country.

I still wonder if there are any 50s Les Pauls leaning up against the fireplace in the Wharekai.
Because there have been.
BY kdawg2a
Slowy wrote:
Reg18 wrote:

If I have my history right, none were imported for sale; such things couldn't happen. You couldn't import something being made here (thanks Jansen). You even needed 'overseas funds' to buy a new car.

However, the Maori Showbands were doing very well on the world stage back then and they were responsible for many of the 50s and 60s Gibson and Fenders that arrived in the country.

I still wonder if there are any 50s Les Pauls leaning up against the fireplace in the Wharekai.
Because there have been.

A mate of mine who played bass in my band back in the mid 90's had a grandfather from Tonga that had a mid 50's black Les Paul custom with the staple pole piece neck pickup. He'd used it in church bands for years. He died a while ago so i'm not sure what happened to it but it's still probably floating around South Auckland somewhere.
BY foal30
Terexgeek wrote:So NO-one wants to do a guitar and Pawn shop crawl with refreshments at the end?

Day and time?
If it finish at Brighton there is Level or the Burger Joint for nice food and craft beers
BY foal30
Slowy wrote:
Reg18 wrote:

Because there have been.

American Servicemen were also an avenue for Fender/Gibson to get into NZ

Trade Me User 'Carps' has a heap of knowledge on the Fender side of things.
BY foal30
Terexgeek wrote:I think foal's 70's P-bass was found in a local shop?

Yes, got that in New Brighton
Overall a very good buy I really like that Bass

The Pawn Shop (Ferry Rd) when it was on Tuam St (hospital end) had a pre-CBS Strat
I turned down a Paisley Telecaster from CJ's as $995 "was too steep" :o
A MusicMan Cutlass turned up in 1990 but I and Steve CK missed it. Would like to know who got it
BY Reg18
foal30 wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:I think foal's 70's P-bass was found in a local shop?

Yes, got that in New Brighton
Overall a very good buy I really like that Bass

The Pawn Shop (Ferry Rd) when it was on Tuam St (hospital end) had a pre-CBS Strat
I turned down a Paisley Telecaster from CJ's as $995 "was too steep" :o
A MusicMan Cutlass turned up in 1990 but I and Steve CK missed it. Would like to know who got it

Was that the music store in New Brighton Mall? I remember seeing a small size Silver Jubilee head a 4x10 matching cab in there and thinking that’s cool! But I had no idea what it was at the time.
I’m always keen for Pawn shop crawl however I pretty much pop in on all them every second week ish anyway. I live in New Brighton too so if it ends up at level 1 or The Burger Joint that would suit me just fine!