ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules: ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
Capt. Black wrote:
docwill wrote:I shouldn't ask but...how much (and would you be at all interested in reissue JTM45 head plus cash difference?) Cheers

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat... but is that JTM45 re-issue the one that went from me toBG to Slowy to Grant and then to someone else and possibly someone in between?

Think Grant said it went to Tauranga. Just yesterday, someone said to me, "Why didn't I buy that off you? Why didn't you force me to buy it?"
One of the great amps.
Slowy wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:
docwill wrote:I shouldn't ask but...how much (and would you be at all interested in reissue JTM45 head plus cash difference?) Cheers

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat... but is that JTM45 re-issue the one that went from me toBG to Slowy to Grant and then to someone else and possibly someone in between?

Think Grant said it went to Tauranga. Just yesterday, someone said to me, "Why didn't I buy that off you? Why didn't you force me to buy it?"
One of the great amps.

Yeah it's one of the only amps I want to be reacquainted with to find out if I really want to own it again or am I just looking back with rosé tinted glasses...
Capt. Black wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:

One of the great amps.

Yeah it's one of the only amps I want to be reacquainted with to find out if I really want to own it again or am I just looking back with rosé tinted glasses...

Rose tint. It was nowhere near loud enough for you.
Might be a wee bit of rose tinting going on there. I've always found Jtm45's to be just a touch short on gain. Great sound but always left me wanting a tad more grunt. The next El34 iteration however is for me the Goldilocks zone. Just a hair more dirt but still cleans up nicely and with a decent boost in front will, when required, give up some more modern goods. Quad cab is a huge and often ignored part of the equation though . Cranked Jtm45 at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cab is a thing of beauty.
Capt. Black wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:

One of the great amps.

If you're serious I can put in contact. I loved it too, but playing a JTM45 on the verge of breakup at a wedding gig was....career limiting.
BY Bg
Dharmajester wrote:Might be a wee bit of rose tinting going on there. I've always found Jtm45's to be just a touch short on gain. Great sound but always left me wanting a tad more grunt. The next El34 iteration however is for me the Goldilocks zone. Just a hair more dirt but still cleans up nicely and with a decent boost in front will, when required, give up some more modern goods. Quad cab is a huge and often ignored part of the equation though . Cranked Jtm45 at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cab is a thing of beauty.

Yeah this one was a beaut, cranked into a quad :) Mission bay jazz and blues, bar stage, no micing :D Awesome.
BY Slowy
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Will post a pic in the morning.

Picked it up earlier tonight, it’s a 1990 Marshall JTM45 rebiased to run KT66’s.

The 45 that was owned by everybody whose name is highlighted in green or red also ran KT66's. Part of the secret, I reckon.
To the folks who complain of inadequate gain, you are correct - by accepted Marshall standards. But remember, the early JTM45 was a British built Fender Bassman and in that light, it's glorious.
docwill wrote:Hi. Sorry for the belated reply. I've only recently joined the forum and...I have yet to work up the nerve to talk to my wife about this matter...I purchased the JTM45 head second-hand but in great condition on EBay in 2005. Steve Bartlett installed and biased KT66 output tubes for a more authentic Bluesbreaker tone. It runs on our NZ mains power supply. There are no issues that I am aware of. It cost me $1690 to land in 2005. If reviews are to be believed then the choice of speakers can be important. I have run it with a custom solid macrocarpa + plywood 2x12 cab (Cabinet maker build) with Plessey speakers (the good ones) reconed using Celestion blue kits by Steve Bartlett.

Cheers Hamish

Lovely to spend some time with you yesterday Hamish, what a lovely amp I have inherited! Have just treated myself further and ordered a pair of Genalex Gold Lion KT66's.

I truly hope you enjoy the SSS, I'm sure you will. Great that it's staying in the NZG family :thumbup: