ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules: ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
BY godgrinder
Molly wrote:And I'm really not worried about how much like the profiled amp it manages to sound. I don't care. If the profiles sound good then who cares if it's an accurate representation?

That's the key part to get lots of mileage out of a modeller. They surely all sound good enough by now, just don't obsess over whether it's 80% or 90% like the real thing so you can get out of the neverending upgrade cycle.

Also don't go totally nuts on controllers or FRFR.
BY Molly
godgrinder wrote:
Molly wrote:And I'm really not worried about how much like the profiled amp it manages to sound. I don't care. If the profiles sound good then who cares if it's an accurate representation?

That's the key part to get lots of mileage out of a modeller. They surely all sound good enough by now, just don't obsess over whether it's 80% or 90% like the real thing so you can get out of the neverending upgrade cycle.

Also don't go totally nuts on controllers or FRFR.

Cheers. When I thought about it I wondered if you'd ever even get two people to agree what a, for example, '68 Marshall should sound like let alone if a profile of it was accurate. So, yes, don't care about that aspect. :thumbup:

Earlier today I read an article on the KPA in the May 2012 Guitarist magazine (just happened to be the mag I grabbed to take to the cafe with me - Rory Gallagher thing I wanted to re-read). The thrust of it was all about people being able to profile their own amps and take them on the road etc. Funny. It obviously preceded / didn't predict the aftermarket industry in profile packs that's grown up around them.
BY Bg
modellers have always been great, since the first pod. its only picky musos who have not embraced them because the amps weren't 100%
I regularly heard awesome guitarists, straight into the PA with a pod. So it didn't sound exactly like a jcm800... and....

I've embraced my headrush and not thought about what models the amps are supposed to be. and have done that ever since the pod 2.
BY Bg
I should mention the headrush sounds and feels a fucktonne better than the pod 2 ;)
BY Conway
OMG. Molly actually did it?!

Has he sold it yet? (Sorry Molly, couldn't resist!)
BY Molly
Conway wrote:OMG. Molly actually did it?!

Has he sold it yet? (Sorry Molly, couldn't resist!)

He did! And, no, he hasn't....
BY Conway
^^^ When I had my Kemper I also owned several amps that I used profiles of, and I took some profiles of one of Opsguy's Swarts as well as a Mesa Lonestar I had. The Kemper was pretty damn close.

Unlike the Helix, which was crap. A side-by-side test of my Fender 65 DRRI to Kemper to Helix was highly illuminating. Kemper was 90% there, Helix nowhere close (I'd say 50-60%).
BY Conway
My advice Molly, is that you need to spend a bit of time with it. Don't go through a hundred profiles in half an hour and then decide to flick it. Use good profiles - ask here for help. Kiwiaxe in particular knows all the ones you will want.
BY Molly
Conway wrote:^^^ When I had my Kemper I also owned several amps that I used profiles of, and I took some profiles of one of Opsguy's Swarts as well as a Mesa Lonestar I had. The Kemper was pretty damn close.

Unlike the Helix, which was crap. A side-by-side test of my Fender 65 DRRI to Kemper to Helix was highly illuminating. Kemper was 90% there, Helix nowhere close (I'd say 50-60%).

Inevitable that I'd give it a go at some point and I suppose the later I leave it the better the profiles will be. As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not going to worry about the accuracy of the profile as much as the tone itself. If I like the sound / feel of it that'll be good enough.

Told my Mrs recently, after another hour wasted getting an amp ready for safe shipment, "I've packed my last amp". Well, it's proven not to be the case as I've two on TM right now. But after that! Honest. No more....

Kiwiaxe has kindly offered to give me some advice once I get it and another member has already given me a load of profiles to try. I'm hoping there's a good 'Mayer - Where the Light Is' profile out there. :-)
BY chur
Molly wrote:
Conway wrote:^^^ When I had my Kemper I also owned several amps that I used profiles of, and I took some profiles of one of Opsguy's Swarts as well as a Mesa Lonestar I had. The Kemper was pretty damn close.

Inevitable that I'd give it a go at some point and I suppose the later I leave it the better the profiles will be. As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not going to worry about the accuracy of the profile as much as the tone itself. If I like the sound / feel of it that'll be good enough.

Told my Mrs recently, after another hour wasted getting an amp ready for safe shipment, "I've packed my last amp". Well, it's proven not to be the case as I've two on TM right now. But after that! Honest. No more....

Kiwiaxe has kindly offered to give me some advice once I get it and another member has already given me a load of profiles to try. I'm hoping there's a good 'Mayer - Where the Light Is' profile out there. :-)

Hard to tell huge amounts through youtube, but caught my attention for a period - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6AwTp4ZUm0
BY Eruera
Definitely Mayer tones to be had, I think I had some SSS profiles back in the day
BY Molly
Molly wrote:
chur wrote:
Hard to tell huge amounts through youtube, but caught my attention for a period - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6AwTp4ZUm0

Cool. Got it running now. :-) Should just get through it before the end of lunch.

My Kemper should just be setting sail right about now. :-)

Had to skip to the 'reveal'. Interesting outcome. :thumbup:
BY Basket Case
Of all the amps I've owned, I've never been as content as I am with the Kemper. Get some M.Britt profiles and you'll never look back!
BY Lyle
Molly wrote:
Molly wrote:
chur wrote:

Cool. Got it running now. :-) Should just get through it before the end of lunch.

My Kemper should just be setting sail right about now. :-)

Had to skip to the 'reveal'. Interesting outcome. :thumbup:

I picked the vox and fender correctly, got the Marshall wrong. Hard to tell which sound I liked better it was all pretty close.