ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules: ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
BY Reg18
Brand new a week ago, has Velcro on the back but otherwise like new.
This is the latest compressor from Keeley which has the advantage of a blend knob and a single coil/humbucker switch which I think changes the attack/release settings.

Can't find a bad review on the net!

$210 + shipping

Last edited by Reg18 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BY AiRdAd
Slowy...?
BY TmcB
It'll be sustaining the notes for longer and evening out the dynamics – the bass and treble strings in particular will sound similar in volume.

To be fair, it's more something you "feel" than hear and youtube vids are notoriously compressed already.

Check out 1:01 on the vid - the compressed sound is a bit louder but is more bassy and even, as well as a heap more sustain.
It doesn't help that they give sweet FA time to compare the clean and effected signals before they go off and wank for 30 seconds
BY Molly
TmcB wrote:It'll be sustaining the notes for longer and evening out the dynamics – the bass and treble strings in particular will sound similar in volume.

To be fair, it's more something you "feel" than hear and youtube vids are notoriously compressed already.

Check out 1:01 on the vid - the compressed sound is a bit louder but is more bassy and even, as well as a heap more sustain.
It doesn't help that they give sweet FA time to compare the clean and effected signals before they go off and wank for 30 seconds

I'm playing more on a clean tone these days and do sometimes want a bit more sustain. Maybe a compressor is the thing I need. Do they typically go in the loop? Excuse my ignorance. I've always avoided pedals because I haven't the patience to work through the permutations...
BY TmcB
Molly wrote:
I'm playing more on a clean tone these days and do sometimes want a bit more sustain. Maybe a compressor is the thing I need. Do they typically go in the loop? Excuse my ignorance. I've always avoided pedals because I haven't the patience to work through the permutations...

Yeah, some sort of comp will really help with that.

You can put them anywhere but IMO they're best placed as close to the front of your pedal chain as possible as it'll be smoothing out the transient peaks right off the guitar. I probably wouldn't bother putting it in the loop personally but it's worth a go.

You can play other tricks with them, like if a filter or modulation pedal has really big resonance peaks in its sweep you can use the compressor to squish them down to a more balanced volume. If you're using a wah up first, play around with putting it before or after the compressor.
BY sizzlingbadger
Your compressor should be one of the very first pedals in the chain between your guitar and amp.

Edit, see Tony's more detailed response.
BY Single coil
Good compressor in the loop works well too. See how you go.
BY TmcB
To add more compressor theory, Optical compressors are generally the more subtle, "fat" sounding compressors that make your instrument sound fuller and sustain longer without it being too obvious that you're using a compressor/losing too much attack.

IC/Ross based compressors are more "squishy" – the attack is attenuated from your playing, and you can really feel the compressor working. This kind of sound is used a lot in country for chicken picking. It's a really obvious sound and is usually used as an effect rather than a tone enhancer. Most offerings are Ross based because they are fairly inexpensive to make compared to the optical compressors (I make an optical, the Damn and Blast, so I know :lol: ) , but things like the Xotic SP Comp or particularly this Keeley Compressor Plus are adding blend knobs and other versatility to make it easier to add sweetness to your tone.
BY Reg18
As for where to place it in the signal chain I preferred the Keeley after my overdrives but before my volume pedal, delay and Reverb. For an optical compressor I like it first in line. I'm sure each one is different.
BY Slowy
AiRdAd wrote:Slowy...?

Yeah. Should....
But don't really need and trying to stem the cash bleeding from the spending spree I've been on for 3 months now.
The lack of a significant authority figure in my life is making it a challenge.
:rofl: