ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules: ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
Olderama wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
willow13 wrote:just for you I will do that now ... back soon

If you can let me know where you would plug the head into, and whether it's 8 or 16ohm that would be great. I'm out at swimming lessons with my kids at the moment so it will give me something to do this arvo :-)

Just don't void your warranty

Noted.
BY JHorner
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
JHorner wrote:Can't help wondering... just as an experiment... has anyone unplugged the speakers in a Katana combo and driven them with a tubular amp?

/yes I know I am full of bad ideas

I did actually think of this, that way I could just use it as a 212 cab lol. Couldn't see where the speakers went into though, no obvious input on the back - is it inside the chassis?

When I use a combo as a cab, I unplug the speaker at the terminals. I made some 1/4 plug > female spade cables.
BY godgrinder
willow13 wrote:I think a lot of that has to do with the fact they are all corksniffing tone chasers on rig talk :rofl:

Not quite. You'd be surprised how many of them will tell you that they prefer a 6505 to a SLO100, or prefer a boosted 800 than a Friedman or Bogner.

I like that place because many of them have went through many different amps over the years and are able to provide some actual insights on why they liked one thing but not the other. While I might not agree on their preferences, there are often some useful information in that.

willow13 wrote:To me an amp isn't about science its about the feels.

The way an amp sound or feel the way it is would be exactly due to the science behind it.
BY willow13
godgrinder wrote:
willow13 wrote:To me an amp isn't about science its about the feels.

The way an amp sound or feel the way it is would be exactly due to the science behind it.

yes and no. If that was the only factor then everyone would sound great playing through a great amp but we all know thats not the case. I was really more meaning how anal people get about amp construction and its effects on tone
BY willow13
JHorner wrote:Can't help wondering... just as an experiment... has anyone unplugged the speakers in a Katana combo and driven them with a tubular amp?

so now have read your post properly and well I have the head so can't do it :rofl:

but what I have done is run the line out into the input of my EVH set clean and yeah it sounds "ok" but a bit thin compared to running stock into a cab...

one thing I have had to do today is re EQ my EVH. I have been playing the Katana exclusively all week (through the built in speaker) and have been loving it then I plugged it into my quad and did some fiddling to get what I think is a great tone.

So I thought I should turn the EVH on and compare and to my horror the EVH sounded really bright boarding on white noisy so I had to dial out some treble and add some mid...now I have had my EVH set the same way for 2 years plus so it came as quite a shock for it to suddenly sound to bright :rofl:
BY Olderama
willow13 wrote:

so now have read your post properly and well I have the head so can't do it :rofl:

but what I have done is run the line out into the input of my EVH set clean and yeah it sounds "ok" but a bit thin compared to running stock into a cab...

one thing I have had to do today is re EQ my EVH. I have been playing the Katana exclusively all week (through the built in speaker) and have been loving it then I plugged it into my quad and did some fiddling to get what I think is a great tone.

So I thought I should turn the EVH on and compare and to my horror the EVH sounded really bright boarding on white noisy so I had to dial out some treble and add some mid...now I have had my EVH set the same way for 2 years plus so it came as quite a shock for it to suddenly sound to bright :rofl:

Yep

Just sell the EVH

:)
BY willow13
Olderama wrote:Yep

Just sell the EVH

I'll leave it to you in my will ....... because thats the only way its going anywhere :rofl:
BY Olderama
willow13 wrote:

Just sell the EVH

I'll leave it to you in my will ....... because thats the only way its going anywhere :rofl:

Ok
Where do you live .............
BY AiRdAd
Olderama wrote:
willow13 wrote:

Just sell the EVH

Ok

I thought you had a line on one oldie, did that one not Work out for you?
BY Olderama
AiRdAd wrote:
Olderama wrote:
willow13 wrote:

Ok

I still have a line
Just waiting on a couple of things before I make a decision :)
BY Aquila Rossa
So I thought I should turn the EVH on and compare and to my horror the EVH sounded really bright boarding on white noisy so I had to dial out some treble and add some mid...now I have had my EVH set the same way for 2 years plus so it came as quite a shock for it to suddenly sound to bright

Ears and how they interpret sound seems to not be a fixed thing. They attenuate sounds depending on the environment you are in most often. Have a month of peace and quiet and then try the amp it will seem different. Also, a new sound will make you notice something about the sound you are more used to and the ears are not so alert to. I used to get similar working in a very noisy environment at sea. Did not notice fizz until I had spent part of my shore leave in a quiet place and the ears had adjusted. Then I would be shocked at how fizzy a sound was that i had thought was all good.
BY AiRdAd
Olderama wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:
Olderama wrote:Ok

I still have a line
Just waiting on a couple of things before I make a decision :)

Cool, I hope it works out for you!
BY godgrinder
willow13 wrote:yes and no. If that was the only factor then everyone would sound great playing through a great amp but we all know thats not the case. I was really more meaning how anal people get about amp construction and its effects on tone

The way an amp reacts to different playing/guitars/pedals etc are still science. Some amps are definitely more forgiving than others but there's only so much it could do if the player truly sucks or the guitar is total dogshit. :mental:

Lots of these small factors like construction/parts do have influences on the sound. It's often quite overblown but I mean what else you talk about on gear forums anyway? Haha.