ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules: ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
BY Aquila Rossa
I have not thought the clips and demos i have heard of the Katana have quite lived up to the hype. i preferred the Yamaha THD amps tbh. I have played neither so far tho, so who knows

i was also cynical of GF:BS and that it has a bearing on buying decisions (guitar forum bandwagon syndrome).

That said, i will probably like Katana when i try one. Just like i liked the Bandit back in the day because it was easy to play and get an okay sound on.
BY willow13
Aquila Rossa wrote:
null_pointer wrote:HOW DARE YOU CROSS THE PICKET LINE MF!!

Nah, its the Tube Union holding the picket line and Katana scabs trying to break thru :)

The Man is trying to bring in zero tube contracts. We will overcome

man I have no idea where your ex got the idea you were communist from :rofl:
BY Molly
willow13 wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:
null_pointer wrote:HOW DARE YOU CROSS THE PICKET LINE MF!!

Nah, its the Tube Union holding the picket line and Katana scabs trying to break thru :)

The Man is trying to bring in zero tube contracts. We will overcome

man I have no idea where your ex got the idea you were communist from :rofl:

And we will ensure the lines of demarcation are intact; with a complete work-to-rule.

So, no hybrid amps.
BY godgrinder
Bg wrote:Not sure what the point of that post is? How did it stack up against the usual amps through your expensive quads... You seemed pretty keen when you posted the clips

Like I said, very impressive for the price. Came a long way since the days of Cubes and Spiders. Feels "real" to play probably thanks to the FET input stage and the power amp. But within the glossy wrapping the core of it is still the ol' COSM sound when you listen closely. That's probably why the clips on the offical Boss website still sound GT5-ish. There was a similar phenomenon on Rig-Talk a while ago. Many people bought Kanatas and were impressed, but a good number of them returned it after a few weeks.

I think that keep telling the people who bought the combo that they should try it through a quad is a bit weird. When someone buys a combo it's often because he likes that format and were previously able to get what he wants with other combos. If he doesn't like this one then maybe he really doesn't like it. What should they tell the people who returned it after playing it through a quad? Try it through a full stack?
BY Bg
Fair call, I think the other point I've seen made is to break the combo speakers in, apparently they do change character quite a bit for the best
BY willow13
godgrinder wrote:
There was a similar phenomenon on Rig-Talk a while ago. Many people bought Kanatas and were impressed, but a good number of them returned it after a few weeks.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact they are all corksniffing tone chasers on rig talk :rofl: ... and most of them spend all their time trying to be eddie van halen or something.

I think the Katana is an awesome amp that actually makes me want to actually play guitar more because of the ease and more importantly the tone.

To me an amp isn't about science its about the feels. I have found that generally if a player can't get the tone they want from an amp then maybe they aren't quite the player they think they are :rofl:
null_pointer wrote:Gear is gear. Suits some and not others, which is reflective of taste rather than the gear itself. And when you factor in price point the Katana seems great value, but in this case it's not MFs bag.

Yup, this is pretty much it. Don't get me wrong it has a lot going for it - sounds great, almost infinite tweaking options, great effects overall (as you'd expect from Boss) and the price is obviously helping to sell a ton of them because it drops it in the ballpark of amps it walks all over. But it's just not quite 'me' and it's taken me a month or so to come to this conclusion. I've realised that I'm not getting excited by any of this digital stuff, I simply prefer the tone and interaction of my physical pedalboard running into a good valve amp... even more so when I have two of them running wet/dry 8)

I've put a nice new brown leather handle on it but I'll also include the Boss one that came with it. Just because of the price I'm going to keep it as a local sale, you guys up north may as well save on shipping costs and just get your local RS to look after you instead. For anyone in Christchurch flick me a PM if you're interested - happy to deliver to your door at no charge too $700
BY JHorner
Can't help wondering... just as an experiment... has anyone unplugged the speakers in a Katana combo and driven them with a tubular amp?

/yes I know I am full of bad ideas
BY willow13
JHorner wrote:Can't help wondering... just as an experiment... has anyone unplugged the speakers in a Katana combo and driven them with a tubular amp?

just for you I will do that now ... back soon
JHorner wrote:Can't help wondering... just as an experiment... has anyone unplugged the speakers in a Katana combo and driven them with a tubular amp?

I did actually think of this, that way I could just use it as a 212 cab lol. Couldn't see where the speakers went into though, no obvious input on the back - is it inside the chassis?
willow13 wrote:just for you I will do that now ... back soon

If you can let me know where you would plug the head into, and whether it's 8 or 16ohm that would be great. I'm out at swimming lessons with my kids at the moment so it will give me something to do this arvo :-)
BY Olderama
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
willow13 wrote:just for you I will do that now ... back soon

If you can let me know where you would plug the head into, and whether it's 8 or 16ohm that would be great. I'm out at swimming lessons with my kids at the moment so it will give me something to do this arvo :-)

Just don't void your warranty