Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

JustMatt
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Stolen Strat on Trade Me

Post by JustMatt »

Just found the first partsacaster I ever built on TradeMe. It was stolen three days before the September 4th Earthquakes here in Christchurch and was my most treasured possession at the time.

Naturally I have a massive understanding of the guitar and could prove that it is mine by stating things about it that only I could know. I am not going to share the link to the auction because the dude could be an innocent party.

Anybody ever been in a similar situation? Did you get it back? Advice?

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Re: Stolen Strat on Trade Me

Post by WellyBlues »

There was a thread or maybe part of the trademe madness thread a year or so (?) ago about a stolen gat. I believe it was recovered and iirc the thief arrested. It was a gibson hollowbody electric i think. You'll have to do some digging. Some of the others will know the story better. You could pm Bg or unique they might remember.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I'd contact Trademe and the police, I'm sure between them there'd be some sort of sneaky way of contacting the lister and figure out what's goin on
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Definitely contact TM and the Police.

This guitar was stolen from you. It is yours. Regardless of whether the vendor is the thief or an innocent victim, the fact remains that it is your guitar and you have legal right of possession. If the vendor is innocent, it's tough on them but that is the risk we all run buying second hand.

Hopefully you reported the theft and hopefully you can produce the incident number. That will help your case immeasurably.

Good Luck!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I think at least you would have to prove it was your guitar and that it was stolen. If he's bought it in good faith and you can't provide that proof I suspect you won't be getting it back.

You could just win the auction and go see the guy.

EDIT: Thinking on this I wonder how many of us could provide evidence that a particular guitar was ever ours in the event that it was stolen. I have pics of serial numbers uploaded and though I don't have receipts for any, I suppose I have the email trail with the sellers.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Legally Molly is wrong and Slowy is right. But the issue will be proof that it's yours and was stolen.

I think there are some exceptions eg where it's ended up being sold to a shop and on-sold. I haven't looked at that for a while.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Link?
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Kev77 wrote:Link?
I would mate but don't want to cause any shit for the seller (innocent till proven guilty).

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I think whether or not insurance has been paid out is where it gets real tricky, in most cases the insurance company technically own the stolen item and you have to buy it back off them
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Kiwiaxe wrote:Legally Molly is wrong and Slowy is right. But the issue will be proof that it's yours and was stolen.

I think there are some exceptions eg where it's ended up being sold to a shop and on-sold. I haven't looked at that for a while.
Interesting. I'd just have thought the onus would be Mathew to prove it was his and was stolen. Otherwise anybody could go around claiming this or that guitar was theirs. And just knowing the serial number can't count for much. Loads of guitars are listed with it shown.

Sounds like a bloody minefield.

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

druz15 wrote:I think whether or not insurance has been paid out is where it gets real tricky, in most cases the insurance company technically own the stolen item and you have to buy it back off them
You are correct. Funny thing is I don't even know if I want it back. There is a lot of water under the bridge since it was stolen and I have better guitars now.

I do know that I want somebody who deserves it to have it (even if that is the insurance company)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

If it's local I'd still be tempted to follow it up.

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Molly wrote:If it's local I'd still be tempted to follow it up.
Me Too.....

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Ive asked him where he got it. If its all legit at his end I will probably just leave it be. It is a good guitar (or at least it was 5 years ago)and is pretty well specced for the price it is being offered at if anybody wants it.

If he cant say or dosent answer I will take some of the advice from above. Thanks again folks.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

I purchased an amp on trademe last year. From a cash converters on trademe.
My dream amp actually - a Goodsell super seventeen and just had a feeling it may be hot.
I couldn't deal with maybe having someone else's stolen dream amp so I went to see RYAN at the Ampshop . And sure enough it was stolen. I called the police and waited.

I was fortunate enough to get my purchase price back, and the police collected the amp.
the Original owner has his baby back, and in the big picture it felt like the right thing to do.
But dam, what an amp.
I really hope your parts guitar guy has the same perspective.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius