Recording guitar cab techniques (advise wanted)

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Recording guitar cab techniques (advise wanted)

Post by Reg18 »

Bought this cheap condenser mic recently for micing my guitar cab to try and achieve some slightly better audio on my YouTube videos.
However it still doesn't capture the cabinet thump I hear in the room.
I went with a condenser to try and get a little more realistic room sound as apposed to a close mic 57 which sounds punchy but lacks any room feel/sound to my ears, maybe this is just the trade off going condenser instead of dynamic?

I don't have any budget for this so it comes down to mic placement and other cheap tips/techniques

I'm recording directly into the camera via a Tascam battery powered interface.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Recording guitar cab techniques (advise wanted)

Post by jeremyb »

Nice one Reg!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Try the dynamic up close and the condenser back say a foot, or maybe even more to give it a chance at hearing the whole cab resonating. Those Tascam things are killer, I have one and use it lots.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

bbrunskill wrote:Try the dynamic up close and the condenser back say a foot, or maybe even more to give it a chance at hearing the whole cab resonating. Those Tascam things are killer, I have one and use it lots.
Just to clarify I don't actually own a 57, but I had plenty of experience and know how a close micced 57 sounds. I only have 1 channel in on my Tascam anyway so without getting into trying to sync audio post I'd rather keep it to just one mic.
I might try your suggestion on back a foot to see if it picks up more cab resonance next and go from there.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

you could try facing your cab towards a wall (about a metre away) and place the mic in between. Just make sure there is carpet on the floor to limit reflections so you don't "over" reverb the sound
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

My advice would be to buy the AMT Pangaea :wink:

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Have you tried tweaking where the mic is placed/pointed? I usually close mic these days, but have had good results using a condenser mic about 6inches to a foot back, positioned at the centre of the cone, but pointed at a 45degree angle towards the midpoint between the dust cap and edge. Where you point it and the distance basically act like an EQ. Closer = more low end and thump (proximity effect). Aimed at the dust cap = more high frequency. Aimed towards the edge = mellower/more midrange. These are generalisations, but should help.