Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

Whether or not it's enough of a difference to care about is an entirely different story.

My ex in USA does voice over. She did not have a lot of money and was trying to get away with using an AT USB mic and pissing around in post to try to polish it up. I gave her an Audiobox that came with a condenser mic. Was an instant improvement. Then I gave her my Avid Mbox 3. The mic preamps were much better and improved her work a lot. Finally got her a Rode NT1 mic. The mic helped a lot too, but the biggest just up in quality was going from the Audiobox to the Mbox 3 and the better mic preamps and digital conversion. Post editing was reducing to next to nothing when she had both the Rode and the Mbox, especially noise and also plosives.
griff7628 wrote:
bender wrote:I just splashed out on an Antelope Zen Studio +

Bank balance says "ouch".

But you wont regret it I bet. Well done!
Heard great things about them.

Oh for sure. 12 preamps will be great for mobile band recording!

I meant to say- great choice on the Audient BTW.
griff7628 wrote:Yeah well my next decision is what mic to pair up with the 57 on my cab. Looking at the e906 rather than a condenser.

I've just ordered a pair of Line Audio CM3 mics. They're really highly regarded and crazy cheap. The pair should cost me approximately $360 landed. :shock:

Other good, inexpensive SDC options include anything from 12-gauge mics (they're dirt cheap and pretty decent), or a Rode NT5.

Otherwise, I'd seriously consider a ribbon mic as the second. There are a few reasonably priced options out there.
bender wrote:
griff7628 wrote:Yeah well my next decision is what mic to pair up with the 57 on my cab. Looking at the e906 rather than a condenser.

I've just ordered a pair of Line Audio CM3 mics. They're really highly regarded and crazy cheap. The pair should cost me approximately $360 landed. :shock:

Other good, inexpensive SDC options include anything from 12-gauge mics (they're dirt cheap and pretty decent), or a Rode NT5.

Otherwise, I'd seriously consider a ribbon mic as the second. There are a few reasonably priced options out there.

I've got a red and a green 12 gauge, I thought they weren't suitable for pointing at a speaker, more for room mic'ing? was thinking of recording some stuff on the katana at some stage, with a 57 on the speaker and a 12 gauge as a room mic... interested to see how it sounds!
jeremyb wrote:I've got a red and a green 12 gauge, I thought they weren't suitable for pointing at a speaker, more for room mic'ing?

I've used mine for recording at the speaker. Sounds fine although not sure how hard you can push them volume wise...I use mine for vocals mainly
jeremyb wrote:
bender wrote:

I've got a red and a green 12 gauge, I thought they weren't suitable for pointing at a speaker, more for room mic'ing? was thinking of recording some stuff on the katana at some stage, with a 57 on the speaker and a 12 gauge as a room mic... interested to see how it sounds!

It's not uncommon to se a 57 and a SDC in coincident configuration right up next to the speaker. Often just gaffs taped together. The 12-gauge mics will be able to handle all but the loudest amp dimed at close range.