Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Garageband / Home Studio Quandry

Post by jeremyb »

I find reaper a bit meh, midi editting will be essential as I'll be doing all programmed drums and samples galore... :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

You won't regret buying Logic.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

ha ha yeah thats why i liked audition-it basically worked like my 4 track 8)

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Lawrence wrote:each to their own of course - I dont think you can beat this for value
http://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first
Protools is one of those rabbit holes I really regret getting into.

It works great for me but the problem is that they expect you to update every time a new version comes out. And support for legacy versions don't last long.

Then when you switch to a new version of an operating system, an old version of Protools usually gets a bit glitchy.

I started off using PT 7 on Windows XP, then when I upgraded to Windows 7, PT 7 can't run on it at all. Had to keep a dual OS on my PC.

Then I got PT 10. It was fine on OSX Mountain Lion/Mavericks but when I upgraded to Yosemite it acted all fucked up, so I'm stuck in Mavericks. But the problem with using an old version of Mac OS is that you don't get updates on all the other daily softwares you use.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

logic dictates...

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Lawrence wrote:each to their own of course - I dont think you can beat this for value
I'm a long terms Pro Tools adict... I mean user, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that. Limit to 3 projects (without subscription) and cloud only seem like a bit of a killer. I'd put in another vote for Logic- $299 is actually really cheap for such a full-featured DAW. My annual subscription for Pro Tools HD is more than that...

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

godgrinder wrote:
Protools is one of those rabbit holes I really regret getting into.

It works great for me but the problem is that they expect you to update every time a new version comes out. And support for legacy versions don't last long.

Then when you switch to a new version of an operating system, an old version of Protools usually gets a bit glitchy.

I started off using PT 7 on Windows XP, then when I upgraded to Windows 7, PT 7 can't run on it at all. Had to keep a dual OS on my PC.

Then I got PT 10. It was fine on OSX Mountain Lion/Mavericks but when I upgraded to Yosemite it acted all fucked up, so I'm stuck in Mavericks. But the problem with using an old version of Mac OS is that you don't get updates on all the other daily softwares you use.
Yes, it's not a great choice if you want to keep your computer bleeding edge current, and their new subscription based pricing is a pile of poo (I have Pro Tools HD which is now $399US per year, and by a weird quirk in their upgrade path I won't be able to get back on the subscription path if I let it lapse- total PITA). I loathe using anything else, but would switch in a heartbeat if it was a legitimate option in the industry I'm in.

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

I use logic. My vote would be with logic, it works well. I am still using the same version I was 5 years ago. It's worth the investment. The plugins it comes with are excellent. If I was starting from scratch again the only other plugins I would buy that I use every song are the Waves CLA-2A, Renaissance reverb and Melodyne. Oh and Izotope Ozone for rough mastering (though you can do a decent job with the built in Logic stuff too).

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

bender wrote:Yes, it's not a great choice if you want to keep your computer bleeding edge current, and their new subscription based pricing is a pile of poo (I have Pro Tools HD which is now $399US per year, and by a weird quirk in their upgrade path I won't be able to get back on the subscription path if I let it lapse- total PITA). I loathe using anything else, but would switch in a heartbeat if it was a legitimate option in the industry I'm in.
I'll probably use PT 10 for another year or 2 then switch to Logic when I really have to upgrade my OS. As long as I keep an installation of Windows 7 on my PC I'll still be able to open my old PT sessions if needed.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Great stuff everyone, I'm swaying towards logic again!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

godgrinder wrote:
bender wrote:Yes, it's not a great choice if you want to keep your computer bleeding edge current, and their new subscription based pricing is a pile of poo (I have Pro Tools HD which is now $399US per year, and by a weird quirk in their upgrade path I won't be able to get back on the subscription path if I let it lapse- total PITA). I loathe using anything else, but would switch in a heartbeat if it was a legitimate option in the industry I'm in.
I'll probably use PT 10 for another year or 2 then switch to Logic when I really have to upgrade my OS. As long as I keep an installation of Windows 7 on my PC I'll still be able to open my old PT sessions if needed.
I use Pro Tools for 8+ hours a day, every day and have done for around 15 years- switching would be an unpleasant process...

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

bender wrote:
I use Pro Tools for 8+ hours a day, every day and have done for around 15 years- switching would be an unpleasant process...
This. I upgrade my HP workstation about every 4 years and move up PT at the same time. Its been such a seamless and trouble free road that I cant imagine doing anything else. I know Logic is well loved these days but the early versions were so....well, illogical, that I walked away. Reflecting later it was probably my analog background and bias that made me think that way. If you can use a mixing desk you can use PT.

The key point is that these days almost any platform can give you great results if used well so it does come down to taste. You could always try this. :D
http://www.merging.com/products/pyramix/key-features
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

meh. I still use garbageband. It's good enough for what I need at the mo'.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Cubase essential is very well priced. All you need in a daw for recording a band.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.