AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Help with getting started in home recording

Post by AiRdAd »

If you are going to buy software, now is a good time to do it. Its Black Friday, and there are heaps of specials

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Help with getting started in home recording

Post by bender »

AiRdAd wrote:If you are going to buy software, now is a good time to do it. Its Black Friday, and there are heaps of specials
Yeah, this. They've been spamming the bajeezus out of my poor email inbox.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

What are some good things to get for the ipad Ben. I've got bias and amplitude.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

what do you guys use for impulses? I downloaded a massive bunch of free ones a while ago, but there are too many, takes ages to work through all the different models. keen for some recommendations.

I used to mostly use guitar rig or podfarm, into Reaper, but have been messing around with some free vst's from lepou and varim tadanov.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Kloppsta wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:Kloppsta...

Ref above?
Do you still mic everything up and use an interface?
I use a Line 6 Sonic Port to plug in and record guitars (electric and acoustic). I use a Korg Microkey 37 USB Midi keyboard for keys and triggering samples from different virtual instrument software on the ipad. I dont tend to add "drums" to much stuff as i usually only record basic ideas on the ipad but i have used things like Korg's iElectribe and some other drum machine virtual instruments to create drum tracks. There is also one built into Garageband. I also don't tend to record many vocals but when i do i use a USB mic, i think its a Samson Pro something or rather.

There are a ton of companies making sweet iOS recording gear. Software instruments, DAW's, USB microphones, interfaces, control surfaces etc.
Thanks man.
I just want to record some guitar tones I'm getting. Possibley do some videos? But I want to to sound good so I was thinking I would mix the amps up? I need a decent mic, but I've got an iPad and MacBook Pro with garage band and an M-Audio fast track interface. So I should be able to do some basic 1 or 2 track recording and it sound good. Am I right? What am I missing? (Other than the mic).
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Kloppsta »

Les_Paul86 wrote:Thanks man.
I just want to record some guitar tones I'm getting. Possibley do some videos? But I want to to sound good so I was thinking I would mix the amps up? I need a decent mic, but I've got an iPad and MacBook Pro with garage band and an M-Audio fast track interface. So I should be able to do some basic 1 or 2 track recording and it sound good. Am I right? What am I missing? (Other than the mic).
with that setup you will be able to get some SWEET results for sure! if i was working with the same gear and wanted to produce some videos for youtube etc. i would use the macbook and garageband. the m-audio interface will be all gravy. on the cheap, grab a SM57 for micing your cabs and call it a day. for more versatile (imo more pleasing) results i would scrap the SM57 and get something like a Heil PR30. if you can spring for it i would also grab logic and use that instead of garageband, only for the fact that you will have many more options in the way of mixing/mastering tools and the ability to support other plugins etc.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Happy to lend you a mic too, LesPaul. I’ve got SM57, e609 and AKG D1000e, happy to lend you any one as I have more than I need for most gigs!

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Les_Paul86 »

bbrunskill wrote:Happy to lend you a mic too, LesPaul. I’ve got SM57, e609 and AKG D1000e, happy to lend you any one as I have more than I need for most gigs!
Thanks Ben. I could do with one for keeps though to be honest a 57 & 58.

Let me know if you're getting rid though?
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Probably not! keep an eye on TM for decent used ones.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I've just picked up a CAD D80 dynamic. Will report back once I've used it in anger.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Dredge!

I've been recording a bit with my phone, and I kind of want to be able to do more. I've realised that my amp has a Cabinet Simulated Direct Out - does this mean I could connect it to a recording interface? I'd also like to be able to record acoustic, so I'm thinking I'd need a mic and an interface that can take it.

As ever, I'm working off a pretty non-existent budget, but I'd be keen to hear what people think the best options are and what to look out for on Trade Me etc. I've read back through this thread, but it's pretty old, so I wonder if anything's changed?

Edit: oh, and do I need monitors?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

hamo wrote:Cabinet Simulated Direct Out - does this mean I could connect it to a recording interface?
Yes.
hamo wrote:I'd also like to be able to record acoustic, so I'm thinking I'd need a mic and an interface that can take it.
Yes.
hamo wrote:As ever, I'm working off a pretty non-existent budget, but I'd be keen to hear what people think the best options
I've been using some Rode condenser mics and a focusrite 2i2, but I imagine a much cheaper mic and older focusrite would be fine. Or one of those little zoom handheld things that show up for about a hand shandy sometimes.
hamo wrote:oh, and do I need monitors?
Nah computer speakers or blackstar fly3 stereo pack would do the job. Or in my case, some 3 way outdoor speakers. It all really depends on the level of quality you're going for, which in my case is "rough garage band if everyone can hear their instrument then jobs a goodun".

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Nice one, thanks.

Any recommendations on mics?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

You'd probably not regret having an sm57 around if you're recording, but for acoustic you really want a condenser mic. Well I would.

If you can get a genuine sm57 (lots of fakes about apparently) for about a hundred you would always be able to sell it without losing money if you didn't like it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have an SM57 and a couple of the 12 gauge mics (a red and a green) which are supposedly good for acoustics (AND CHEAP!) the 57 is great for close micing amps, but am mainly using it for processed vocals thru the HD... make sure if you get an interface you get one that does have phantom power for condenser mics :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.