Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

BY Frey
My start in home recording was pretty simple. Simple cheap gear, simple cheap (ie. torrented cubase and vsts)

m audio fast track 1/2 channel interface
akg c3000 condenser mic (with foam removed...)
akg d190 from the 70s for guitars
bass DI'd
drums midi'd in cubase 5
synths played/programmed using a roland usb keyboard

particularly like the molot compressor and sanford reverbs

a lot of it is creativity/ability in writing and arranging. A lot also comes down to the subjective nature of sound. have fun!
I was reading earlier in the thread about how people are using a DI box to run electric guitar into an interface, which was something I have been thinking about for a while now. I looked at different boxes on TM and there are active and passive, cheaper and expensive. What box? I'd like to be able to run my overdrive pedal, but not clip the interface's preamp. However, I doubt I will be able to get the same effect as an overdrive or boost saturating the front end of an amp. I dunno. I just figure a direct box may sound better than plugging the gat into the interface, because the load on the guitar could be more similar to an actual amp? I guess it is possible to clip the DI box too.
Aquila Rossa wrote:I was reading earlier in the thread about how people are using a DI box to run electric guitar into an interface, which was something I have been thinking about for a while now. I looked at different boxes on TM and there are active and passive, cheaper and expensive. What box? I'd like to be able to run my overdrive pedal, but not clip the interface's preamp. However, I doubt I will be able to get the same effect as an overdrive or boost saturating the front end of an amp. I dunno. I just figure a direct box may sound better than plugging the gat into the interface, because the load on the guitar could be more similar to an actual amp? I guess it is possible to clip the DI box too.

I can't see how a DI box can improve things when you're only recording direct. Usually people use DI box to split the signal when they want to record with a real amp yet still want to keep a clean DI track. If your interface has a Hi-Z input it should be good enough.
Frey wrote:My start in home recording was pretty simple. Simple cheap gear, simple cheap (ie. torrented cubase and vsts)
a lot of it is creativity/ability in writing and arranging. A lot also comes down to the subjective nature of sound. have fun!

I've been using Reaper (and so does one of my mates), I think their "evaluation mode" is brilliant, who would really go to the effort of pirating it? And the full license is so cheap I will be purchasing the full license as my time spent recording increases to avoid the 5 second "buy now" splash screen.
BY Frey
sounds like a good daw. Cubase has been fine for me, although I prefer Logic X I don't have a mac so not an option. The overdub cutting tool in logic pro X is brilliant.
Frey wrote:a lot of it is creativity/ability in writing and arranging.

Where can I buy this?
godgrinder wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:I was reading earlier in the thread about how people are using a DI box to run electric guitar into an interface, which was something I have been thinking about for a while now. I looked at different boxes on TM and there are active and passive, cheaper and expensive. What box? I'd like to be able to run my overdrive pedal, but not clip the interface's preamp. However, I doubt I will be able to get the same effect as an overdrive or boost saturating the front end of an amp. I dunno. I just figure a direct box may sound better than plugging the gat into the interface, because the load on the guitar could be more similar to an actual amp? I guess it is possible to clip the DI box too.

I can't see how a DI box can improve things when you're only recording direct. Usually people use DI box to split the signal when they want to record with a real amp yet still want to keep a clean DI track. If your interface has a Hi-Z input it should be good enough.

I think it comes from people using gen 1 focusrite scarletts which would clip on the input massively with slightly warm pickups, let alone high output stuff, using a DI into it seemed to fix the issue :)

With a decent interface you don't need one tho'....
BY Frey
hamo wrote:
Frey wrote:a lot of it is creativity/ability in writing and arranging.

Where can I buy this?

at the store
sidewinder wrote:I've been using Reaper (and so does one of my mates), I think their "evaluation mode" is brilliant, who would really go to the effort of pirating it? And the full license is so cheap I will be purchasing the full license as my time spent recording increases to avoid the 5 second "buy now" splash screen.

Yeah I used reaper for ages on the evaluation mode, after a few years i finally got around to buying it as i realised i had "past participle of get" way more than $100 worth of use from it. Think it's a good system for getting more interest in the product, probably gets 10x the recommendations of some others due to it being full usability for free basically, so even if only 10-20% of those people pay for it, still works out for them in the end. Plus i think its a pretty good DAW, i have no real idea what i'm doing and manage to find my way around alright.
Green Bastard wrote:
sidewinder wrote:I've been using Reaper (and so does one of my mates), I think their "evaluation mode" is brilliant, who would really go to the effort of pirating it? And the full license is so cheap I will be purchasing the full license as my time spent recording increases to avoid the 5 second "buy now" splash screen.

Yeah I used reaper for ages on the evaluation mode, after a few years i finally got around to buying it as i realised i had "past participle of get" way more than $100 worth of use from it. Think it's a good system for getting more interest in the product, probably gets 10x the recommendations of some others due to it being full usability for free basically, so even if only 10-20% of those people pay for it, still works out for them in the end. Plus i think its a pretty good DAW, i have no real idea what i'm doing and manage to find my way around alright.

Yeah, and I think it's a real snowball effect, lots of good reaper tutorials, so more people use it, more people recommend it, etc.

I think that Fluff guy on YouTube switched from Logic to Reaper.
Music teacher at work gave me a quick run through his studio today. Huge learning curve ahead of me but it was great to see some of the things talked about in this thread in the flesh / up and running. Took him about two minutes to put together something that sounded great.