Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

#731665
hamo wrote:Dredge!

I've been recording a bit with my phone, and I kind of want to be able to do more. I've realised that my amp has a Cabinet Simulated Direct Out - does this mean I could connect it to a recording interface? I'd also like to be able to record acoustic, so I'm thinking I'd need a mic and an interface that can take it.

As ever, I'm working off a pretty non-existent budget, but I'd be keen to hear what people think the best options are and what to look out for on Trade Me etc. I've read back through this thread, but it's pretty old, so I wonder if anything's changed?

Edit: oh, and do I need monitors?


i'll just leave this hear viewtopic.php?f=49&t=32558 :mrgreen:

the audiogram would do the job for ya. good sounding little unit, zero latency issues has phantom power. I could also throw in one of those 12 gauge condenser mics as I have a spare one...pm for a deal
#731686
griff7628 wrote:What's the amp?


Line 6 Spider Valve HD100

sirvill wrote:
hamo wrote: I'd also like to be able to record acoustic



Wait wait wait what the devil is going on here


My gear isn't set up all the time, since it's sharing space with our defacto walk in wardrobe, and I've been forced to grab the acoustic for short sessions just to get a guitar in my hands more regularly.
#731688
hamo wrote:
My gear isn't set up all the time, since it's sharing space with our defacto walk in wardrobe, and I've been forced to grab the acoustic for short sessions just to get a guitar in my hands more regularly.


Completely unacceptable sir!

The good news is if you buy an interface you could use a free amp sim on your computer and therefore negate the need for that sort of carry on.
#731689
sirvill wrote:
hamo wrote:
My gear isn't set up all the time, since it's sharing space with our defacto walk in wardrobe, and I've been forced to grab the acoustic for short sessions just to get a guitar in my hands more regularly.


Completely unacceptable sir!

The good news is if you buy an interface you could use a free amp sim on your computer and therefore negate the need for that sort of carry on.


Negate need to hear at least one 12" speaker pushed by at least a 50w amp? Completely unacceptable!
User avatar
BY hamo
#731690
sirvill wrote:
hamo wrote:
My gear isn't set up all the time, since it's sharing space with our defacto walk in wardrobe, and I've been forced to grab the acoustic for short sessions just to get a guitar in my hands more regularly.


Completely unacceptable sir!

The good news is if you buy an interface you could use a free amp sim on your computer and therefore negate the need for that sort of carry on.


Yeah, there is that, although I kind of like acoustic sometimes... :oops:

I am wary that like all things guitar, there will be analysis paralysis based on the sheer number of options for recording. My usual M.O. is to grab the most versatile set up I can find, rather than a number of specialised tools.
#731696
Does your acoustic has a pickup? The easiest way would be plug the pickup output into an interface.

For electrics these free Lepou plugins are pretty good, you might get better results using these than miking up a digtal amp and a cheap cab:
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com
User avatar
BY hamo
#731698
godgrinder wrote:Does your acoustic has a pickup? The easiest way would be plug the pickup output into an interface.

For electrics these free Lepou plugins are pretty good, you might get better results using these than miking up a digtal amp and a cheap cab:
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com


No pickup in the acoustic, though I did toy with the idea of getting one. Would be overkill I think though.
#731699
hamo wrote:No pickup in the acoustic, though I did toy with the idea of getting one. Would be overkill I think though.


You'd likely to get shit results from miking up an acoustic at home, so might be wiser skip buying the microphone and get a pickup instead. The pickup would probably be cheaper too.

Skipping the mic would allow you to buy a cheaper interface without a mic pre too (like the Line 6 one Willow is selling).
#731730
Kris wrote:given your budget i recommend the GX is willow is selling.I used one for years and only sold mine as i needed more flexible I/O.


yeah they are great. I'm only selling it for the sane reason as you (got a UX1 now)
#731757
hamo wrote:
griff7628 wrote:What's the amp?


Line 6 Spider Valve HD100

sirvill wrote:
hamo wrote: I'd also like to be able to record acoustic



Wait wait wait what the devil is going on here


My gear isn't set up all the time, since it's sharing space with our defacto walk in wardrobe, and I've been forced to grab the acoustic for short sessions just to get a guitar in my hands more regularly.


Image
#731759
I used to think acoustics were shit too, but I love mine, it's usually what I pick up first when I want to have a twang!
#731768
jeremyb wrote:I used to think acoustics were shit too, but I love mine, it's usually what I pick up first when I want to have a twang!


it must hurt a bit though :?:


Personally I have grown to hate acoustics...yet I still own 3 :rofl:
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7