Moderator: Capt. Black

sidewinder
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Help with getting started in home recording

Post by sidewinder »

Was just having a dig, there are still days I wish I had one.

Luckily that day happens about once a year.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I was reading earlier in the thread about how people are using a DI box to run electric guitar into an interface, which was something I have been thinking about for a while now. I looked at different boxes on TM and there are active and passive, cheaper and expensive. What box? I'd like to be able to run my overdrive pedal, but not clip the interface's preamp. However, I doubt I will be able to get the same effect as an overdrive or boost saturating the front end of an amp. I dunno. I just figure a direct box may sound better than plugging the gat into the interface, because the load on the guitar could be more similar to an actual amp? I guess it is possible to clip the DI box too.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Aquila Rossa wrote:I was reading earlier in the thread about how people are using a DI box to run electric guitar into an interface, which was something I have been thinking about for a while now. I looked at different boxes on TM and there are active and passive, cheaper and expensive. What box? I'd like to be able to run my overdrive pedal, but not clip the interface's preamp. However, I doubt I will be able to get the same effect as an overdrive or boost saturating the front end of an amp. I dunno. I just figure a direct box may sound better than plugging the gat into the interface, because the load on the guitar could be more similar to an actual amp? I guess it is possible to clip the DI box too.
I can't see how a DI box can improve things when you're only recording direct. Usually people use DI box to split the signal when they want to record with a real amp yet still want to keep a clean DI track. If your interface has a Hi-Z input it should be good enough.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

sidewinder
Squier

Post by sidewinder »

Frey wrote:My start in home recording was pretty simple. Simple cheap gear, simple cheap (ie. torrented cubase and vsts)
a lot of it is creativity/ability in writing and arranging. A lot also comes down to the subjective nature of sound. have fun!
I've been using Reaper (and so does one of my mates), I think their "evaluation mode" is brilliant, who would really go to the effort of pirating it? And the full license is so cheap I will be purchasing the full license as my time spent recording increases to avoid the 5 second "buy now" splash screen.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Frey wrote:a lot of it is creativity/ability in writing and arranging.
Where can I buy this?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

godgrinder wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:I was reading earlier in the thread about how people are using a DI box to run electric guitar into an interface, which was something I have been thinking about for a while now. I looked at different boxes on TM and there are active and passive, cheaper and expensive. What box? I'd like to be able to run my overdrive pedal, but not clip the interface's preamp. However, I doubt I will be able to get the same effect as an overdrive or boost saturating the front end of an amp. I dunno. I just figure a direct box may sound better than plugging the gat into the interface, because the load on the guitar could be more similar to an actual amp? I guess it is possible to clip the DI box too.
I can't see how a DI box can improve things when you're only recording direct. Usually people use DI box to split the signal when they want to record with a real amp yet still want to keep a clean DI track. If your interface has a Hi-Z input it should be good enough.
I think it comes from people using gen 1 focusrite scarletts which would clip on the input massively with slightly warm pickups, let alone high output stuff, using a DI into it seemed to fix the issue :)

With a decent interface you don't need one tho'....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

sidewinder wrote:I've been using Reaper (and so does one of my mates), I think their "evaluation mode" is brilliant, who would really go to the effort of pirating it? And the full license is so cheap I will be purchasing the full license as my time spent recording increases to avoid the 5 second "buy now" splash screen.
Yeah I used reaper for ages on the evaluation mode, after a few years i finally got around to buying it as i realised i had "past participle of get" way more than $100 worth of use from it. Think it's a good system for getting more interest in the product, probably gets 10x the recommendations of some others due to it being full usability for free basically, so even if only 10-20% of those people pay for it, still works out for them in the end. Plus i think its a pretty good DAW, i have no real idea what i'm doing and manage to find my way around alright.

sidewinder
Squier

Post by sidewinder »

Green Bastard wrote:
sidewinder wrote:I've been using Reaper (and so does one of my mates), I think their "evaluation mode" is brilliant, who would really go to the effort of pirating it? And the full license is so cheap I will be purchasing the full license as my time spent recording increases to avoid the 5 second "buy now" splash screen.
Yeah I used reaper for ages on the evaluation mode, after a few years i finally got around to buying it as i realised i had "past participle of get" way more than $100 worth of use from it. Think it's a good system for getting more interest in the product, probably gets 10x the recommendations of some others due to it being full usability for free basically, so even if only 10-20% of those people pay for it, still works out for them in the end. Plus i think its a pretty good DAW, i have no real idea what i'm doing and manage to find my way around alright.
Yeah, and I think it's a real snowball effect, lots of good reaper tutorials, so more people use it, more people recommend it, etc.

I think that Fluff guy on YouTube switched from Logic to Reaper.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I think its the other way round - he switched from Reaper to Logic.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Music teacher at work gave me a quick run through his studio today. Huge learning curve ahead of me but it was great to see some of the things talked about in this thread in the flesh / up and running. Took him about two minutes to put together something that sounded great.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Enjoyed this Pete Thorn demon on impulse responses (didn't even know what they were before I watched this) and recording with load boxes (again, all new to me I have to confess).

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Pete Thorn load box ways? This is a great solution for home playing where volume is an issue. My IRT Studio has an internal load box and I use cabs in my recording software. All comes out monitors sounding and feeling more satisfying than any modelling solution I have tried. I can even get feedback from the monitors.

I good reactive load and really good monitors would be be bliss and make a big grunty amp able to be used far more often.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

This thread makes me feel like I fell asleep for ten years and during that time you all learned a bunch of stuff I didn't. I think you did this while I was dismantling motorbikes and renovating houses.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Only recently learnt about IR''s recently also. All on the quest to play quietly at home with my old tube amps. They are great and imo better than my iso cab.

I think if my band ever kicks off again I'll be straight to the PA using an IR loader/load/tube head vs lugging a cab. Worth a try anyway...
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Pete Thorn load box ways? This is a great solution for home playing where volume is an issue. My IRT Studio has an internal load box and I use cabs in my recording software. All comes out monitors sounding and feeling more satisfying than any modelling solution I have tried. I can even get feedback from the monitors.

I good reactive load and really good monitors would be be bliss and make a big grunty amp able to be used far more often.
This actually makes me wonder if I should even bother saving for decent mics and making an iso booth or just going for the Suhr reactive load. Because I have heard the latter can do just as well, sometimes better without the noise.