Going to the States and UK over Christmas...advice?

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Going to the States and UK over Christmas...advice?

Post by Delayman »

Hi. Going to the States and UK over Christmas. Not likely to get loads of time in music stores (family trip), but if I do, what is likely to be worth looking at? Big price differences between NZ and there etc. Anybody have any advice?

Going to London, Manchester, Florida, New Jersey.

Thanks
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Re: Going to the States and UK over Christmas...advice?

Post by Kev77 »

Denmark at London, get off at tottenham court tube station. Bring wet wipes.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Denmark Street in London is definately worth a look. There's also a couple of large music shops on Tottenham Court Road too. London has a few great Museums and bookshops too. ;)

The stores, generally, aren't always the great bargains - but for ogling rare gear, or a large range of gear, but while in Europe, perhaps look at online sources (Thomann, GAK, Andertons, etc) and get local delivery. Power supply in UK and Europe is compatible for NZ, so, good for gadgets and tech.

As for the US, thats where you look for guitars. And thats a whole journey I dont know too much about - but again, looking online and then arranging US delivery for items that dont need to be tried out (pedals?!) will be cheap as.

Guitars generally need to be played, so, visit lots of shops.

My 2c, anyway.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I hear it’s bloody expensive to buy gear in the UK with NZD. A friend of mine bought a few things recently and they were bloody dear.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

bbrunskill wrote:I hear it’s bloody expensive to buy gear in the UK with NZD. A friend of mine bought a few things recently and they were bloody dear.
That'd be right.
The limey's get pounded severely with imported stuff, just look at Mesa prices over there :crazy:
If you can find a UK made product, the prices shouldn't make you wince......hopefully.
Just factor in the exchange rate to see if it's worth it.

Smartest thing to do is research online before you go.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Don't shout "ALLAH ACKBAR MUHAMMED JIHAD" when you go thru security, otherwise you'll be fine :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

UK prices are, generally speaking, more expensive than NZ when all currency/tax is taken into account.

USA is where the deals are to be had, though I've never been to Florida or NJ so can't recommend any particular stores.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

higainer wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:I hear it’s bloody expensive to buy gear in the UK with NZD. A friend of mine bought a few things recently and they were bloody dear.
That'd be right.
The limey's get pounded severely with imported stuff, just look at Mesa prices over there :crazy:
If you can find a UK made product, the prices shouldn't make you wince......hopefully.

Smartest thing to do is research online before you go.
Actually, fair point, NZ prices are very favourable to the UK ones now - rather different than when I lived there 5 years ago. Always check online. But locallay produced product, anything heavier or larger, then perhaps. But as Matt says, generally deals to be had are Stateside.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

Thanks for the advice guys, might have to look at some US deliveries to family. Especially helpful to know my JIHAD call won't be welcomed at airports. Who knew? :lol:
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

If you get in a bind just say
"Wah Mohamed El Han see ah" and that should get you a nice spot of attention
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

We used to speak in Maori NZ place names to confuse the poms & yanks.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I would advise a good hot curry and a pint of Fullers finest ale whilst in London.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I would advise a good hot curry and a pint of Fullers finest ale whilst in London.
Sounds more realistic than nabbing an amazing deal in the music shop micro-visits I might fit in.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

im heading to the US for December. definitely be checking out some guitar stores.
regional guitar centres look like a good option. but fun to check out boutique and vintage shops.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

higainer wrote: The limey's get pounded severely with imported stuff, just look at Mesa prices over there :crazy:
The import limit is something like 15 pounds, something insanely low. It's a regular complaint from UK members on the Madbean forum -- to the point where there's a thread on there asking for a good UK source for prebonded WIRE! Beyond that limit, it's customs and VAT time for them. The guy from Serbia complains about sourcing parts less.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol