Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by Bg »

reminds me I need to make some wooden guitar stands. That one is 18 years old and falling apart now sadly :( They just don't build these things to last!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mike Clayton wrote:Does she thump?
She actually does everything I ask. The P-Bass is the swiss army knife of basses :) If you have only one bass, it has to be a P. I need one for roundwounds as well though lol.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I had a Sunburst Fender 60th P-Bass for about 18 months (the diamond anniversary model) - I became our band's bass player after we lost the incumbent. That P-bass thumped alright! It had a wide neck which I struggled with at first, especially at the first fret. Got used to it after a while, about the same time as I stopped playing it like a guitar!!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Thats the way, I've dipped in and out of bass and guitar over the years - and technique is so different.
Curiously if sitting I rest the bass naturally on the right leg, and guitar naturally on the left leg

I'm a big fan of the thinner wide necks on a P-Bass. they just feel so good.

So.... tweedy bass amps, wotcha got? :)

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

How 'bout The Original "Dual Rectifier" a 1956 Fender 5E6 Bassman...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mike Clayton wrote:How 'bout The Original "Dual Rectifier" a 1956 Fender 5E6 Bassman...
No, stop it!

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

You know you want one....
Check this out https://youtu.be/Wst69bygMSk

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mike Clayton wrote:You know you want one....
Check this out https://youtu.be/Wst69bygMSk
How many cabs would that cost me? :lol:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Ha, quite a few I'd say. BUT..... I will be needing a Tweed Princeton 5F2-A cab soonish. That Bassman would be the ultimate tweed aye - and great for bass or guitar. Apparently the JTM45 is pretty much a direct copy of the 5E6 circuit. All those valves, rectifiers, large iron, 4 x speakers adds up. Maybe cash and contra :D

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Bg wrote:As an aside, I taped some sandpaper to my sleeve and played for a few hours. When I was finished I noted where the scratching happened - thats where the wear pattern comes from. If I'd left that sandpaper on my sleeve for the next 20 years, I'd have got through that poly and the wear marks would be identical!

Rasp and belt sander, speeds up the process.
I was thinking of doing that on my tele but I'm not sure I've got the skills to do a convincing job.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

if its nitro, its easy with sandpaper. If its poly - thats about 3 mm thick so you need some BFG to get through it - rasp or belt sander with 100 grit. It takes seconds.
Then feather it out with differing grits. I do 220, 360, 480, 800 wet and dry, 1000 wet and dry. After that you should be left with the smallest of scratches. If not go back to 220 and start again - sadly. If you want to polish it to a gleam, you need to go further than 1000, but at that point I'd start with cutting compound. Which is where I left it. I wanted dull and thats what I got :)

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lyle »

Bg wrote:if its nitro, its easy with sandpaper. If its poly - thats about 3 mm thick so you need some BFG to get through it - rasp or belt sander with 100 grit. It takes seconds.
Then feather it out with differing grits. I do 220, 360, 480, 800 wet and dry, 1000 wet and dry. After that you should be left with the smallest of scratches. If not go back to 220 and start again - sadly. If you want to polish it to a gleam, you need to go further than 1000, but at that point I'd start with cutting compound. Which is where I left it. I wanted dull and thats what I got :)
Yeah it's poly, over 20 years old and still looking brand new. Might be a project for summer.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Isn't it weird how tastes change. They moved to poly because nitro cracked and wore too easily. Yay for poly! It will look great for years :)
(ok it cures quicker too

Try some t-cut first, I'd do that with a drill and a polishing sponge. It may be enough else, you might want to go full level cutting compound. You can do it by hand but its a PITA

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lyle »

Bg wrote:Isn't it weird how tastes change. They moved to poly because nitro cracked and wore too easily. Yay for poly! It will look great for years :)
(ok it cures quicker too
That's the other issue, the clear poly coat on the fretboard is still going to look new!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok, on my guitar workbench is a maple neck for one of my tele's, think its blackwood iirc, I have a compound fretboard from stewmac that I bought a long while ago that was needing a guitar.
So over the weekend, I hate to be idle, I got the maple neck blank prepped, the trussrod routed and fitted and yesterday glued the fretboard onto it.

In the hour I've had since I left work, I've fitted the dot markers onto the face. I used some 6mm white plastic acrylic rod, they look great in the maple fretboard - very subtle.