Loving it so far

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Re: Kwila neck build

Post by Bg »

StratMatt wrote:Hope you’ve got a truss rod in it
Thats the thing, I do put trussrods in. But that guy was arguing you 'had' to put a trussrod in, though Adrian (ash customworks) maintained that it depends on wood and thickness. And teles originally had no truss rod. And graphite necks need sweet fuck all.

Ok I'm getting annoyed again :D

All 3 necks have stewmac low profile double acting trussrods. Not that impressed due to manufacturing intolerances. However a bit of a tweak and in they go :) body end adjustment so set and forget.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have just started making a kwila neck without a truss rod...fuck him :rofl: :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Path I don’t trust rod with owt
:mental:

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Bg wrote:
StratMatt wrote:Hope you’ve got a truss rod in it
Thats the thing, I do put trussrods in. But that guy was arguing you 'had' to put a trussrod in, though Adrian (ash customworks) maintained that it depends on wood and thickness. And teles originally had no truss rod. And graphite necks need sweet fuck all.

Ok I'm getting annoyed again :D

All 3 necks have stewmac low profile double acting trussrods. Not that impressed due to manufacturing intolerances. However a bit of a tweak and in they go :) body end adjustment so set and forget.
I know, I know :lol:
Loving it so far

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nah really I just found his ' I would say you probably do need to a adjust the truss rod, you probably just don’t know it." to be the most annoying, oblique and pretentious statement.
What does it actually mean? lol
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 414 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I think I have a couple of spare sets of tuners if you need some. Wilkinson EZ Lock 3+3 and an older Schaller 3+3 set that came off one of the Corvettes. I also have a set of Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners but I haven’t decided if I’m going to use them on the Mosrite yet.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

bender wrote:I think I have a couple of spare sets of tuners if you need some. Wilkinson EZ Lock 3+3 and an older Schaller 3+3 set that came off one of the Corvettes. I also have a set of Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners but I haven’t decided if I’m going to use them on the Mosrite yet.
I`ll trade those Schallers for the goto trem I was talking about a few weeks ago
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

mrmofo wrote:
bender wrote:I think I have a couple of spare sets of tuners if you need some. Wilkinson EZ Lock 3+3 and an older Schaller 3+3 set that came off one of the Corvettes. I also have a set of Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners but I haven’t decided if I’m going to use them on the Mosrite yet.
I`ll trade those Schallers for the goto trem I was talking about a few weeks ago
hey get out of it!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

anyway, bit of time today, so rosewood neck has all its dot markers and I've started radiusing to 12" by hand (eek), ran out of 80 and 120 grit so was doing it with 220 for a while.... Nooo. Thats finishing grade ;)

Definite pics tomorrow! if its sunny lol

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Bg wrote:anyway, bit of time today, so rosewood neck has all its dot markers and I've started radiusing to 12" by hand (eek), ran out of 80 and 120 grit so was doing it with 220 for a while.... Nooo. Thats finishing grade ;)

Definite pics tomorrow! if its sunny lol
Oh and in the last hour I started knocking up a new handle for my jointing plane, they make them from some shit plastic nowadays and it snapped. So australian blackwood handle is in progress :)

If I had a lathe, I'd make a new end knob too. I reckon I need a storage shed then I can fit a lathe in :D

I love working with wood me :) Ib:jb;

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Not much time today as work got in the way - no paid overtime, ah well. Pay review is imminent ;)

Distressed stonewashed black jeans look on the back of the maple neck

and the grungy front. Just needs tuners fitting and nut slotting.

And the number 2 rosewood, slotted and radiused.

Solid aluminium rod dot markers - second last one I never got centered properly, after 3 attempts I gave up. I figured there was more superglue and rosewood dust there now than actual wood. Though even close up you can't tell, rosewood is very forgiving. You can see the evidence in the fret slots though.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

eagle eyed viewers may spot that I'm dowelling the top two tuner holes on the blacky neck. They were perfect, until I got some 3-3 tuners and realised I'd drilled them too close together. Ah the impetuousness of youth!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1628 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by Jay »

That rosewood and alu blinkers looks the biz!

Use a bit of real course sandpaper on the rosedustglue section to give it some artificial grain. Or if you keen use a scalpel to draw the grain lines.

Us, third grade guitar builders, always own up to mistakes and how we fix them. I am sure in the old days, the big dudes made as many mistakes, covered them up and sold them as if all were equally perfect.,.,.,
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:That rosewood and alu blinkers looks the biz!

Use a bit of real course sandpaper on the rosedustglue section to give it some artificial grain. Or if you keen use a scalpel to draw the grain lines.

Us, third grade guitar builders, always own up to mistakes and how we fix them. I am sure in the old days, the big dudes made as many mistakes, covered them up and sold them as if all were equally perfect.,.,.,
yep I'm pretty happy with it being off center. I'm currently doing 3 necks so the theory is the next will be perfect... and yet.

I love the aluminium tube and black epoxy on the other neck but it was a pain in the butt.

Thinking the third neck needs brass.