Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Kwila neck build

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:Busy weekend, had curries to make and work to do.... however, routed the first neck blank for truss rod and glued the fretboard on. trussrod access is at the body end as I'm using the low profile double action stewmac rods.
Fretboard is now radiused (compound) and slotted. Oh and most of the markers are drilled.... quite chuffed with progress considering I had much other stuff to do.
How did you do the compound?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

Olderama wrote:
Bg wrote:Busy weekend, had curries to make and work to do.... however, routed the first neck blank for truss rod and glued the fretboard on. trussrod access is at the body end as I'm using the low profile double action stewmac rods.
Fretboard is now radiused (compound) and slotted. Oh and most of the markers are drilled.... quite chuffed with progress considering I had much other stuff to do.
Never mind that bollocks

What curries did you make ?
Caribbean Chicken Curry with Rice and Peas and Piklez.
Caribbean beef pasties....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
just like this .

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:
just like this .

Ah... That's not what I expected. I was picturing something like I saw MusicMan do where they'd 'swing' the neck off two different length arms so one was passing through a larger arc than the other. The swinging motion passed the fretboard over a sanding belt. Guess it all amounts to the same thing.

With compound boards I can never picture if the crown is decreasing over the length of the board or the sides are coming up. I guess it's the former? It just makes me wonder how you dress a board where the frets are placed lower at the crown as it gets closer to the body.

Edit: I guess that wouldn't matter now I think about it. It's the opposite that'd be an issue.
Last edited by Molly on Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:
just like this .

Not

:mental:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ah not much progress this week, though its now slotted and has dotmarkers. I'm not a fan of maple so I'm going to stain black, have been experimenting today. Won't be solid black, more a transparent with grain showing through. The markers are the aluminum pipe, filled with epoxy mixed with black stain. The next neck I might keep maple but do with brass pipe and paua.

Tomorrow I need to get tru-oil. My last batch has dried up :(

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Bg wrote:
Olderama wrote:
Never mind that bollocks

YUMMM! BG is an excellent chef.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Bg wrote:
Olderama wrote: Never mind that bollocks

Thanks mate, you can visit anytime :)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 695 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I think instead of a gearfest, we all need to have dinner at BG's!!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

We did a week or so back, happy to share next time you're in aucks!

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Bg wrote:
Olderama wrote: Never mind that bollocks

He is. While I like to think I am reasonably skilled in the kitchen, BG is definitely a level up from me.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

awwwww shucks you guys ;) now if only I could put the same amount of effort into guitaring lol

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:
have you got any linseed oil and thinners? ... try adding a little bit of both to the tru oil to try and reactivate it (might need to heat it a little as well)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:
have you got any linseed oil and thinners? ... try adding a little bit of both to the tru oil to try and reactivate it (might need to heat it a little as well)
I have a shit load of linseed oil - raw or boiled? actually scratch that, there isn't enough truoil left to do 2 or 3 necks so I'll need some anyway....

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:
willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:
I have a shit load of linseed oil - raw or boiled? actually scratch that, there isn't enough truoil left to do 2 or 3 necks so I'll need some anyway....
boiled
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be