Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Kwila neck build

Post by StratMatt »

Bg wrote:need my knob puller!
I can recommend someone a bit closer to home!
Loving it so far

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Nice work BG, like the ali markers.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

More pics, warts and all :)

headstock is now at final thickness - the bit of router that needs sanding out, and the radius is still shite.

the profile came out really well, and took next to no time!

ok its drooping, but its normally quite perky....

Test fit, but I reckon its heading to the rosewood tele...

yeah will do a test on that too.... just not sure of the wood match.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

didn't do anything this weekend on it as I fucked up the shaping.... lesson learnt - use a template for necks!!!!
rather than scrap it though I've had a brainstorm and I'm sure it will look as if Intended it in the end lol.
Bring on the weekend....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1627 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by Jay »

Common' show us the phuck up... Does it look like a phallus now? :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:Common' show us the phuck up... Does it look like a phallus now? :wink:

Nah its more of a dip along the edge that would look very silly with strings on ;)
Impatience and belt sander <> accuracy

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Bg wrote:Impatience and belt sander <> accuracy
Words to live by!
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok, spent most of today fixing :) I think its going to be ok. If its not, at least now I have an accurate tele neck template haha.
Didn't get chance to take pics but will post some shortly of where I'm at. Thinking of a big change for the nut too, but it depends on other factors.

So the neck is now bound, with maple.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ok, its been a few weeks. And I'll admit. I fucked it up. carved without realising I hadn't hit the final neck length. so I could do an all access joint at the neck of a tele.... but I thought fuck it. I wasn't happy with the things I had to repair.

In the workshop now are 3 neck sized pieces of maple , 2 fretboards in maple and one in rosewood. I have some more exotic wood arriving (steady jb) and I'm planning on 4 necks with a 4-2 or 2-4 tuner config yet.

Reality is, if I get one good maple and one good exotic, I'll be more than chuffed. Its a learning curve, and I've not been set back 5 years this time :)

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Truck along. Show us what you can do with a good sized piece of exotic wood. :cool:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, I'm happy to think that I can learn from the mistakes this time :) I have already got necks on the guitars that I'm doing these for, I just want something a bit more personalised. I made the bodies so adding the necks will really make them totally mine. Designed a headstock too :)

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Bg wrote:ok, its been a few weeks. And I'll admit. I fucked it up. carved without realising I hadn't hit the final neck length. so I could do an all access joint at the neck of a tele.... but I thought fuck it. I wasn't happy with the things I had to repair.

In the workshop now are 3 neck sized pieces of maple , 2 fretboards in maple and one in rosewood. I have some more exotic wood arriving (steady jb) and I'm planning on 4 necks with a 4-2 or 2-4 tuner config yet.

Reality is, if I get one good maple and one good exotic, I'll be more than chuffed. Its a learning curve, and I've not been set back 5 years this time :)
Where did you get your timber (leave your wood inquiries to JB) from?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ah for the maple, I had a big order to do at stewmac for otherstuff so banged 3 blanks and 2 fretboard blanks on the order. Didn't increase the shipping much and it arrived in 3 days.... The more exotic stuff will be coming from the place in the waikato.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Busy weekend, had curries to make and work to do.... however, routed the first neck blank for truss rod and glued the fretboard on. trussrod access is at the body end as I'm using the low profile double action stewmac rods.
Fretboard is now radiused (compound) and slotted. Oh and most of the markers are drilled.... quite chuffed with progress considering I had much other stuff to do.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Bg wrote:Busy weekend, had curries to make and work to do.... however, routed the first neck blank for truss rod and glued the fretboard on. trussrod access is at the body end as I'm using the low profile double action stewmac rods.
Fretboard is now radiused (compound) and slotted. Oh and most of the markers are drilled.... quite chuffed with progress considering I had much other stuff to do.
Never mind that bollocks

What curries did you make ?
:mental: