Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Bg
not decided on radius yet, 9.5" or 10"...
BY Single coil
7.25” :cool:
BY Bg
Single coil wrote:7.25” :cool:

cool, 9 1/2" it is then...
BY willow13
Bg wrote:Image

I love how the centre of the dot still looks to have pores like the rest of the board .... quite inspiring BG :thumbup:
BY Bg
yeah that came out better than I hoped, was tempted to stick the brass tubing in the middle too, but thats just begging for it...
BY jeremyb
Really nice looking wood BG, I guess you hear that a lot :mrgreen:
BY willow13
Bg wrote:

when ever I make a neck I have no fucking idea what the "radius" is .... I just sand until I get sick of it and then put the frets in :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
BY AiRdAd
The inlays look so cool !!!
BY AiRdAd
I'm looking forward to seeing it when you've finished the inlays and frets, and singlecoil has finished the headstock!!!
BY Bg
more done today as I'm 'working' from home. It means I can spend coffee breaks/lunchtime hogging wood off the back of the neck.

So lessons learned. drill inlays after final neck shaping - I didn't profile the neck, I relied on the centre line - which should be great unless you're a bit shitty at following it like me :)

Nothing is the end of the world, I can move the marker.

So have now hogged the majority of the neck out with a rasp, followed up by the belt sander. Very close. Sadly frets are a week or two away so I have to curb my enthusiasm.

The neck fits the pocket with about 1mm play overall which I though was bloody good for free hand, its un-noticeable really and its only a guesstimation :)

oh I radiused the neck to 9.5" with no drama, looking forward to bolting together and never doing another neck again. only joking.
BY Bg
jeremyb wrote:Really nice looking wood BG, I guess you hear that a lot :mrgreen:

Yeah I usually have to pay for that though
BY Bg
willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:

when ever I make a neck I have no fucking idea what the "radius" is .... I just sand until I get sick of it and then put the frets in :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know that feeling, but I fucked the last one up like that, and its taken 5 years to reattempt a neck ;) Neck through and I fucked it :( could have rescued it, even got a new piece of rosewood, but just pissed me off so much
BY willow13
Bg wrote:
I know that feeling, but I fucked the last one up like that, and its taken 5 years to reattempt a neck ;) Neck through and I fucked it :( could have rescued it, even got a new piece of rosewood, but just pissed me off so much

yes I am in the middle of making more first neck in about 5 yrs to :rofl:
BY Bg
Its a killer if it goes wrong eh... not so bad if its a fretboard, but single piece or neck through. I just looked at it every day for 3 years then binned it. I could have fixed it but I was demoralised so much by it lol...

Anyway come on stewmac, need my fretwire and my knob puller!