Coming up on today's edition of who's getting FUCKING MOLESTED???
... It's my goldtop, again. Because this is the goldtop thread. Yeeeeeeee
Yeah the pickguard is off - we'll get to that.
No. Stop. What are you doing.
Alright here's the deal.
I found a set of pre cut, pre everything'd (except side filed) frets to suit 12" radius gibbo style guitars. For 20 bucks or whatever they were (think it might've been significantly less than that), why the fuck not?
The real kicker is, they are stainless.
(Or at least, they were advertised as stainless.)
I guess this is what we don't want.
... But who said life was a rose garden.
Ickiness under th-... Where the old frets were.
Let's knock the plastic nut off too - That'll be replaced.
Sawdust from a super light sand to try alleviate some of the chunky goneburger bits made them look heaps worse. https://i.imgur.com/IBOTgph.jpg?1
Spose I should attempt to cover these bits up.
Here we are after another light, gentle sand with like 800 or so.
Round two: Put them in order from 1 - 22.
... And success was sorta had, once I figured out a way to do it.
Yeah, shit yeah, here we go!
This is when I discovered I would in fact have to nip the ends off and do a bitta filing.
But, I mean ... Not bad aye?
Aaaaaaaaand let's talk about the pickguard!
Camel are one of my favourite groups. Favourite enough for me to go actively hunt for their stuff on vinyl, give up, and settle for a reissue.
Pretty sure they named themselves after camel fags, so what better way t-Oh look it's even sorta the same colour!
Ados'd a bit of a fag box on, then plastic primer'd over the top. Pickguard is plastic, and said primer is clear. Why wouldn't it work?
Sorta looks like it's lifting ... Shouldn't be. I'll empty the last of my clear onto it tomorrow. Should come up pretty good.
Now . . . . I think this is the bit where I started trying to nip the ends off.
Yeah, musta been.
These things are kinda curmudgeonly.
Ok, they're just clunky and a bit unwieldy.
Nip nip nip nip please ignore scrape
nip nip nip
I don't think I've started filing yet . . .
Nah, surely not.
Oh, nah, here we go - This is after filing and sanding the edges some. They're pretty inconsistent as far as width goes, but I was going for "let's make these not slice my hand open" rather than "let's make them all the same".
Not sure what the trick is to rounding the edges yet.
I noticed my bridge pickup was kinda loose too - Screws weren't doin a great deal. Better sort it out with some ass screws.
They don't match, but man, it's not goin' anywhere now.
A picture with the oldies so the folk amongst us who can actually see colour may be able to see a difference.
This must be after a polish. I don't recall taking pictures of all the green tape and buffing and carrying on.
It's time to ... Oil up
. . . . .
Kinda scary how all the colour came back after a dollop of lemon oil.
Now, you'll all know (from going through this thread in its entirety) that I wasn't quite happy with the end result of the headstock.
Tuner holes weren't centred properly, finish was ok, but not ideal; width of the thing was a little ... Eh, and overall, it just ... I just wasn't happy with it.
So I measured up properly, employed some tactful marking techniques, Thought before I did, aaaaaand this is where I'll leave you for the time being.